Monday, September 19, 2022

Monday, Monday

Watching the Queen's funeral on TV is passing the time.  It's overcast and a bit cold here today which seems fitting.  We've had some rain and it's nice to see the yard and street a bit wet.  

The funeral procession was amazing and the church service was lovely.  There were parts of saying goodbye to the Queen that were also acknowledging Charles as King.  I've always loved the ceremony and traditions of the Royal Family - so much history unfolding.  I'm re-watching The Crown from start to finish this week, too.   

There was a fatal crash at the Reno Air Races yesterday - the second to the last race of this year's event.  A lot of my anxiety about going was around a crash in 2011 that killed eleven people including ten spectators.  Sixty nine people were injured.  The organization that hosts the event made many recommended changes following that crash - but I still felt very nervous about going - so I didn't.  I told J. yesterday (when he told me about the crash) that I think I'm going to skip air races going forward.  I do have huge anxiety about them and while there is inherent risk in anything, I just can't cope with it. Tragic for the pilot who was killed and his family.  My theory is he pulled too many G's and lost consciousness because the videos just show the plane continuing to descend onto the ground.  Very sad. 

This morning, I ventured to the Walmart at the opposite end of Carson to pick up a grocery order.  I ordered a couple things that are only available at that store - only sadly one of them wasn't available.  Looks like I'll be making a trip to Target later this week to grab a couple things.  FINALLY found Comet - haven't been able to buy it since the pandemic but Walmart had it so I bought 3.  We have a lot of porcelain sinks and nothing gets sinks clean better than Comet.  

Somehow, I didn't notice that the online order cart (which I started a long time ago) included four five pound bags of flour - to go with the two five pound bags J. picked up not long ago.  I should have double checked what was in the order before I finalized it - I could have deleted the flour.  I'm pretty sure I did change the quantity to zero but I must not have saved the changes I made.  

Without keeping a sourdough starter alive, I don't know when I will use it - BUT I have been wanting to try making homemade pasta noodles so I will give that a try and see how it goes.

Today is J.'s 73rd birthday - he's playing golf.  I ordered a carrot cake which I will go pick up in about an hour.  We have a simple dinner planned and we will eat at home.  Pretty sure we've celebrated his last two birthdays at Atlantis Steak House - but we're both pretty tired of Atlantis.  We spent a lot of time there the past couple months and we're burned out.  I'm planning to head there for weekly free play twice this week but truly plan to play the free play, get food (if we want to) and head home.  I need a break.  More on that in a future post, possibly.  I have many posts drafted but...I hesitate to publish them and so they hang out in the draft box.  

J. said there was snow on the highest hills/mountains around us already so we know winter is coming.  We're a long way from needing to turn off sprinklers, etc. - it's not that cold yet.  I'm ready for cooler weather.   

Yesterday, I made shaved rib eye beef jerky for snacking - I left the meat covered on the kitchen counter.  When I headed to bed last night, Muf was not her usual self - she is usually greeting us gleefully and struts to the kitchen to 'help' get their bowls of food and water checked.  Last night, she didn't trot to us.  And then J. noticed the meat had been messed with.  Last time I made it, she was determined to get some - this time, she did it on her own.  (And it was well covered - she is just a wiley, sneaky cat).  I think she wasn't feeling too well but she's fine again today so yay!  My Walmart order had more shaved rib eye so I plan to make additional jerky this week. I'll do better at ensuring the cat doesn't get to it.  Nala has no interest, thank goodness.

Guess that's all the updates for today.  I forgot to ask J. his ETA from golf so I have no idea when to expect him but it's getting close to when I need to go pick up the cake.

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...