Sunday, July 24, 2022

Sunday Spur of the Moment

The lottery Mega Millions is at an astronomical level ($790 million) - and while we gave up playing most California lottery games when we moved here, we still join the bandwagon when the jackpots get huge.  B. joined in and found a convenience store in New York (he is there for the weekend) and he and I had interesting text conversations about all the 'what if I win' scenarios. 

I told him my favorite part is the 'dreaming'.  All the things we could do with that money - organizations and people we could bless.  It would be epic and I'd enjoy it for sure.  And both J. and B. would buy epic new planes (and J. would get his license updated so he could fly). 

It rolled again (Friday night drawing) so we had to try again.  Last week, J. trekked to South Lake Tahoe but today I suggested we could drive to Verdi (pronounced Vur-Dye which coincidentally J. learned from a local this morning) with a stop at Atlantis for Sunday brunch.  Woot woot!  And it was declared (agreed) it was a 'date' which opens up the option to use some savings for 'fun money'.  Dates shouldn't come out of regular fun money - I mean, they just shouldn't.  

Brunch was (as usual) delicious.  The cost was $59 per person and we marveled at how many tables of 10-12 adults plus kids we saw.  There must be people with a lot of comps.  Like us.  (Only now our new tier level lets us get a free buffet every single day we are on the property which is amazing).  

After I ate, I headed out to play while J. finished up.  Instead of going to the downstairs bank of six Dragonlinks, I went upstairs to the bank of three and sat down at my current favorite - Ghengis Khan.   I put in $40 (I usually put in several hundred to start) and hit bonus after bonus right off the bat which was AMAZING!  

Saw our host M. who said to J. 'I thought you guys weren't going to be here this weekend'.  There is an 'event' - earn tier points and get a flat screen TV - and when she asked me about participating weeks ago, I was a hard, cold, edgy like steel 'no.  Thank you, but we aren't interested'.  Another event designed to part guests from loads of cash while attempting to 'earn/win' a TV you can buy at Costco for a fraction of what you would need to play to get a 'free' one.  M. texted me on Friday to say 'are you going to come for the TV event?'.  She had apparently signed us up.  I said 'no, and we have no plans to be there this weekend'.  So she was surprised to see J. in the VIP lounge picking up some bottled waters.  I have no idea if we earned enough to get a TV.  Don't care either way.  But we went and we played and if we get one, OK.  A free TV is a good TV.   

We had a fun day of play, drove to Verdi where J. patiently waited in the (very long) line and then we headed home.  Both of us slightly up for the day - so we set aside the date money and let it roll forward and we'll do another brunch date in August.  Maybe a new 'play day' to add to our usual.  (Most of our play at Atlantis is driven by free play and/or free play events throughout the month). 

My friend C. is very happy to take the Tupperware canisters - she said she and her son O. were just talking about how their hodge podge of containers could use an update - and I'm thrilled she might use them.  Also (even more) thrilled that she wants to come up here for a couple nights in October which will be really fun!!  Can't wait!  

J. has his monthly golfing group meeting tomorrow and plays golf on Tuesday.  I will (I REALLY WILL) continue working on the pantry update - J.'s help has opened the flood gates of my motivation and I'm ready to make it epic.  It already looks AMAZING - floor is clear (might change if I store a few things under the bottom shelf) - feels good to have made some actual progress.  I'm creating major project lists and hope to keep the momentum going.

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...