Friday, March 19, 2021

Well Oiled Machine

J. had golf planned for today - first time in weeks - but sadly, possible weather cancelled those plans.  Which worked out well for me 'cuz he was available to take me to my vaccination site this morning.  

The place was very well staffed with Army guys - we asked and they were based out of Reno.  Everything was super smooth and easy and I am so happy to have the first vaccine.  2nd scheduled 4 weeks from today!  So far, I feel OK.  I do feel a little bit tired and am very much looking forward to heading to bed in a few hours.  And as soon as they said we had to wait for fifteen minutes in case there was a reaction, I felt a bit woozy - pretty sure that was related more to not eating anything before we headed to appointment vs. any issue with the vaccine.  

We trekked to Costco (right across the street) after my shot - got some things on our list including potting soil.  We need 3 planters for our driveway but so far, we can't find anything we really like.  We have found lots of options we could 'settle' on - but this house feels like it has a specific 'vibe' and so far, I'm not willing to 'settle'.  

We got out of Costco for under $150 which might be a record.  Well....I had 7 prescriptions to pick up...rare to have them all be ready for a refill at the same time...and my Januvia was $335 out the door.  Always a shock - but that's my deductible for the calendar year for prescriptions so it's fine.  We got only the few things on our list (in addition to Rx's) and were home just after 10:30.  Felt super productive for the day and still well before noon. 

Glad to report that H. has made a payment towards his debt and will make another one on Monday.  He'll follow that up with his regular monthly payment in April plus a little extra from his most recent stimulus payment.  We're keeping him accountable for the money we've loaned him and while his repayment schedule will be long it will be something he does monthly for a long, long time to remind him that his parents were/are supportive of him but in light of recent events, he needs to make repaying us a priority.  

Him looking for a better paying job is up to him and we're leaving him to it. Doesn't make any difference in our expectation of a monthly payment - he owes and we expect him to pay.  He'll need to figure out his budget and will hopefully move to better paying jobs to ensure he has what he needs to live on.

There's been some wild weather lately - and weirdly, there are often dark clouds right over our neighborhood raining down while there are few (or any) clouds around other places.  We are so ready for Spring but it's taking it's sweet time.  Today, huge winds picked up mid-afternoon - the kind that 'whip' around and make all the windows (loudly) creak. 

I have to give a shout out to Muf and Nala.  Yesterday, I came into the office and Nala was on my chair.  As soon as I said 'oh, Nala', she quickly hopped off the chair and got comfy on the floor nearby.  Progress!  And Muf has decided I am her lap human and is doing a great job keeping her claws retracted to avoid hurting me.  When I know she wants to come up (pretty obvious 'cuz she lurks near me) I use my hand to signal 'no' until I get a protective cover on my lap.  She's finally figuring it out and waits until I'm ready and have something on my lap in case she forgets her claws are a lethal weapon.  

They love us and I have to admit that all these months of mostly staying home would have been a lot longer and less fun without them.  They are PITAs but they are OUR PITAs and we're happy to have them.


No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...