Saturday, May 25, 2019

Unexpected Day Off

Thirty minutes before the end of the work week, the County Office of Education's IT department sent out an email blast to every email list they had.  Within minutes, I had six of the same messages in my box (different groups at COE with me on their distribution list) advising that they are doing some emergency electrical repairs and they expected all systems to be down today and tomorrow.  They apologized for the short notice.

I emailed the IT person I correspond with the most and asked 'really?  I'm beyond panicked about budget.  Do you really think things will be shut down for two full days'.  He called me moments later and said 'we really think all will be OK my mid-afternoon on Saturday but in an abundance of caution, we are asking for folks to be prepared for two days'.  

I called J. who said 'yay, you can be home this weekend'.  To which I replied 'yes, and if I am, that means I very much won't be taking off next weekend for the trip to Reno.  I can't spare two weekends ...there's no way'.  

So I'm home today and trying to be as productive as I can be (relatively speaking...'cuz I'm grateful for a day of not working - last day of was Mother's Day so it's nice to have an unwind day).  

Today is H.'s 26th birthday and his one year sober anniversary.  He's thinking about going to Modesto to celebrate with friends he's known since he went into rehab one year ago today.  He's come a long way and we are very proud of him.  

I keep trying to login to email remotely - and when it's a fail, I go back to doing some stuff around the homestead.  

If the system is back up, I will work tomorrow and Sunday long days and then possibly cut my weekend trip short - come back on Sunday instead of staying over Monday.  J. has (apparently) decided to drive up with me on Friday (if we go) - two cars loaded with stuff for storage again - and he will stay Friday night and head home Saturday to get to Tracy in time for the concert Saturday night.  

We were notified they are breaking ground on our house this week (they cashed the big check, finally!) and we can't wait to see progress!!  Super exciting.  Hence J. deciding he wants to get up there even for just an overnight stay.   

In other news, I purchased two skorts - and am wearing one.  J. said 'you have knees'.  LOL.  They are cute and summery and nice for traveling.  

I'm going to work on packing up my cow parade figurines.  I've decided to take them with.  They bring me joy - so they stay, for now.  I have all the boxes including the foam inserts so I will load them up and pack them into boxes and take them to storage next weekend.  Then we'll take down the shelves in the dining room - 

OH - we got two paint quotes and one of them is for under $2000!  Score!  We're doing it - I was thinking more than double that would be the low but...it's a great price and we can get the paint freshened and the trim work patched and painted.  The house will look so much better when the painting is done.  

Have a wonderful three day weekend, everyone!!  And remember why we have this holiday - for those who didn't come home.  


No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...