Saturday, December 15, 2018

What a Week

I spent two Fridays ago at the doctor - I've been on antibiotics for a week but not much is changing.  I'm so gunky in my throat and chest....it's just a bad, bad crud.  This morning was the first morning I woke up not feeling that I wanted to cry upon sitting up.  Long nights of restless sleep and long days of work.  I called in sick on Monday (which I rarely do) and hoped that extra day of rest would help.  It did a little bit but a Tuesday board meeting day (13 hours) pretty much cancelled out any rest benefit from the day away. 

The Board approved using a search firm to find the new CBO - and when the discussion started, one board member said "I want Majah to work here".  I said 'thank you, that is very sweet - and I am working here ....for another six months or so'.  It is harder than I thought it would be to have those six long, slow moving (while simultaneously flying by) months. 

We have the first set of docs for the house and we're reviewing them and signing (via online) - and we had a good talk with the realtor that works with the builder and developer of these homes.  She reassured us that there's no way we'll need to come up with the 50% deposit before the end of this calendar year - an important tax consideration for us.  We will manage the withdrawal for the down payment no problem - but being hit with the tax bill on that in April?  No.  That would be very scary this late in the year - having not adjusted withholding to account for that.  And actually, we are cruising for the first two weeks of April, so our taxes have to be paid in March. 

H. is lying low, we think.  We were (once again) supposed to lunch with him and his sponsor - but that fell through - fifth week in a row, I think.  I've given up caring about it honestly - but there's a part of me that is concerned that this new situation isn't good for H. - not enough accountability and holding his feet to the fire of constantly working the program.  He hadn't gone to the rehab place to confirm he lied and confirm he did relapse - doesn't seem to think it's important to do that - which only makes me wonder if the story to cover the lies is another story?  I hope he's not in a house where there's a selection of chemical options - I doubt it?  Because everyone in the house is in recovery.  But, H.'s sponsor's son has never been through any kind of rehab program - just his dad keeping him accountable.  I know from experience that parents are completely ineffective in ensuring kids aren't using.  You're not with them 24/7 and they are sneaky and manipulative -

I'm on guard and it's hard. 

B. and B. (lovely young lady from prior post) are essentially kaput.  I'm proud of B. (son) for realizing that the parameters of the relationship as envisioned by her were not what he was OK with.  And he stood up for his feelings and said he couldn't see her anymore, given her decision about continuing to see someone else.  I'll never understand how it went from that wonderful week of the ball - her amazing text and Facetime conversation about how amazing B. is (and he is, for sure) to her deciding she needed some space and then him realizing that her idea of space is dating at least one other guy.  While also dating B. .  Recipe for disaster.  I felt super sad about it all - because I truly, really truly thought 'he's found the most amazing girl'.  She seemed so proud of him being a soldier and so smitten.  But no.  It looks like it won't work out.

I talk to God about it every night and I have a really solid, wonderful feeling of peace - God knows what is in store for B. - and who knows.  Time apart may make both of them regroup.  Or not.  And either way, son B. is OK and that's the most important thing.  He will be home a week from today for two weeks - can't wait!!

J. and I made reservations for two nights in Reno with the boys - we both got a free room so our expenses will just be gas, road trip food and drinks and meals while we're there.  Oh...and gaming, of course.  We plan to take the boys to Carson City to see the spot where our house will be - it will be a fun trip and we're all looking forward to it.  Especially the seafood buffet.  Brooks' favorite. 

I trekked to Hayward this morning and my therapist didn't show up.  I should have called but I worried that she is never remiss and if there was a family emergency unfolding, the last thing they needed was one of her clients phoning to find out where she was.  Turned out we confirmed the appointment via text on our phones and she didn't note the date and time of the appointment in her schedule book - so she forgot.  I called her home (a number she gave me ages ago when she was meeting me at her house as she recovered from a broken hip) and she answered and as soon as I said 'this is Majah', the gasped and said 'oh my gosh, I'm so sorry!'. 

It's all good - it was a pretty drive and relaxing - singing at the top of my lungs to/from.  Got me up and dressed which is also a good thing.

Only four more days of work until Winter Break 2018 commences.  We have Cabinet most of Tuesday morning and a holiday potluck celebration on Thursday morning.  In years past, we've gone out for an evening - but I'm really glad we're just sticking to staying at work.  It's so hard to wedge in a night - and we're all ready to have the holiday commence.

I'm toying with the idea of heading up to Jackson tomorrow for a bit.  I haven't been there in ages and I haven't been in front of a slot machine in over two months - I'm due!  LOL.  I have freeplay and another separate freeplay offer - and it will be a beautiful drive.  The hills are greening up and it's very pretty. 

I just made the final payment on our cruise - 104 days until we cruise the Panama Canal! 

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...