Sunday, February 04, 2018

Something Funny to Lighten the Mood

I spent the night in Sacramento on Thursday - something I will do 4 more times between now and the end of May.  Myself, my boss and the HR Director are attending a training and the Thursday session is 5PM - 9PM.  Since I start my days around 5AM, that's a super long day - and the only way I would agree to attend was to spend the night.  No way was I going to drive an hour and a half-ish home and then back again by 8:30AM.  (The morning commute to Sacramento is horrible - it's easily a 2 hour morning drive with all the traffic going North).

Anyway...by the time the day is 'over', we are exhausted.

My boss didn't attend the first session a couple weeks ago - but he was able to make it this past week.  He drove from work and planned to drive home to Ripon (South of Tracy) and then return Friday morning.  We suggested (encouraged, really) that he just plan to stay over like we were - yes, it's added expense but wear and tear on our bodies is important - we need to be thinking and participating in this training which is hard to do when you are super tired.  But he's got a one year old at home along with three other kids and his wife hasn't been feeling great so he planned to go home.  We said our goodbyes and the HR director and I walked to our hotel.

In my room, I was chatting with J. on my cell phone when it beeped 'call waiting'...and it was my boss.  I hurriedly said 'bye' to J. and answered his call.  He said 'I'm at the parking garage and it closed at 7PM'.  I said 'um....so you can't get your car'?  He said 'no, I can't'.  I said 'hurry and call N. (HR Director) so she can try to book you a room here'.  N. booked our rooms 'cuz she has membership via a hotel rewards program.  They succeeded in getting him a room.  A little bit later, I realized 'geez, I should have offered for him to drive my car home and come back in the morning'...so I texted him that offer. 

He wrote back and joked 'so I'm realizing the importance of critical reading skills in a new way.  I'm treating it as a great adventure so I'm OK.  My brother (who lives near Sacto) is going to bring me a shirt in the morning.  I'll be OK but thanks for offering.  I'm heading to the bar for a drink'.

We all had breakfast together the next morning which was a nice way to start the full day session and we're hoping he may decide to plan to stay for the future sessions.  I'm sure he will definitely bring a change of clothes. 

He did trek to a Rite Aid near the hotel for his two critical grooming needs:  hair gel and deodorant.  His hair is always perfect and he never doesn't use hair gel to make it so. 

Our next training is the first weekend in March.  Other than the 16 hour day on the Thursday of these sessions, I'm looking forward to it. 

No comments:

March

I'm starting to think maybe I will just do a monthly post and call it what it is - whatever month we're in.  Here we are winding dow...