Monday, January 02, 2017

It Ends with a Buzz

For all the talk of Angry Orchard and Fireball Whiskey and/or rum or bourbon in our (occasional) eggnog, I had my first (and last) alcohol of Winter Break 2016 this afternoon.  Two Blue Moons consumed pretty rapidly resulting in a pleasant buzz.  Downed a plate of pasta we are calling 'Pasta ala M.' (our last name) using up sausage we had prepped for biscuits and gravy.  Didn't make them so we are using it up in a variety of other ways.

It was nice for a few brief mindless moments.  I can see the 'attraction' of drinking - but also am glad I drink very rarely.  It really hits me pretty hard.

I wanted a couple beers yesterday 'cuz I love playing slots with a beer - but I wasn't staying the night and hadn't eaten much all day and knew if I enjoyed a beer, I'd be needing to stay longer before driving and that costs a lot of $ in gambling dollars.  So I didn't drink.

Saved it for today when I had nowhere to be and nothing pressing to do - and enjoyed every minute of it.  Except when I hit a wrong button on my Buffalo slot games and bet max bet for one spin, which wiped out every penny I had to wager.  BUT things turned out OK 'cuz it was a winning spin and I quintupled my money just like that!

Last year, B. was here and every store in town was out of eggnog post holidays.  This year there's an abundance.  J. picked up a couple low-fat quarts at Savemart - we already enjoyed two over the break.  (Well, someone enjoyed them.  I had a wee bit in a coffee one morning - but someone drank them and we needed more).  Maybe I'll start off returning to work with a bit in my coffee in the morning - no rum, of course!

H. apparently applied for work at the local Arco station - I went (pre-beers, most assuredly) to fill up my car and noticed the 'Help Wanted' signs all over the place.  Told him about it and he said 'I applied a couple weeks ago'.  I'd be turning cartwheels about it except he applied online and has done nothing since...so I'm reminding him to go there tomorrow and inquire in person.  Make himself presentable and all that.  He said he attached his resume to the application - but I have no idea what's on the resume?  I applaud the initiative but seriously?  How DO people get jobs these days?  Minimum wage is now $10 an hour so even 10-15 hours a week would help -

He did that before Christmas Eve 2016 which became my absolute final tipping point.  But it's something.  Maybe he's realizing that many of his issues might be resolved by simply filling up down time with plenty to do.  Little to no time to be 'in your head' is not a bad idea when it comes to feeling down in the dumps.  I speak from personal experience.

Football is on in the family room.  J.'s brother went on a hiking retreat this weekend near Marin and hiked 22 miles so he's in our hot tub getting his muscles soothed.  A pizza has been ordered so there's dinner soon - for them.  My Pasta ala M. will be it for me - sort of 'linner' since I didn't really eat lunch.  I had Chicken in a Biscuit crackers with spray can cheese (stocking stuff from Santa) so that sort of counts but...not really.

If I had one more beer, I'd be asleep in no time.  I'm considering it....the pasta did it's job of offsetting the beer effect.  But I won't.....I don't want to feel gross tomorrow and two is my limit, even on nights when I'm spending the night in a hotel and can sleep until noon the next day if I want.

I bid Winter Break a fond farewell and begin counting the days until Spring Break.  And the one three day weekend in January and two three-day weekends in February.  PLUS, we have a couple weekend trips planned so I have two 4 day weekends booked in January - fingers crossed there's not a ton of snow between here and Reno so we can make them both.  J. is coming with me for weekend # 2 (just booked!) and we will drive. Decided we'll see how it goes and what it's like in the dead of Winter - a good test to prepare us for living there someday.

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...