Sunday, January 08, 2017

And On Other Topics

A new meteorologic term is being used for the storm in California - an atmospheric river. Astounding amounts of moisture in the air.  Rain expected for eight straight days.  Flash flood warnings in place all over the place and every river being watched super closely.  They say this is a '10 year storm' and the last one flooded Manteca and many areas very near us.

We aren't in a flood zone, technically - but still.  Fingers crossed. We should be fine.  As long as the city storm drains stay clear so the water has a place to go, our neighborhood shouldn't have any issues.

J. spent part of the day draining water out of the pool to be sure there's more room for rain.  It's hasn't rained much today but the ground is pretty saturated from last night - and more rain is on it's way.  It's going to be a wild week of wet weather.  Made chili and cornbread for dinner 'cuz it sounded warming.

I've spent a lot of time this week cleaning out my personal email In box.  It's been out of control for a really long time and with 14,000 unread emails, it was clearly in need of attention.  I started sorting by sender and then mass deleting - as well as unsubscribing from as many as I could.  I was glad I decided to get into the project earlier this week 'cuz a very dear friend from college had emailed me this week - sent me a picture of the angel ornament I bought her for Christmas in the early 80's - I remember it well because I wanted to get her something really special that year and I went to Nordstrom to look.  She still has it - and it's original box - and she said she was thinking of me as she put it away again this year.  I might have missed that email completely if I hadn't started to get control of my overflowing in box - and that would have been a sad thing.  I'm hoping this massive cleanup and setting some 'rules' for SPAM will help keep it cleaned out more - 'cuz I sure don't want to miss emails from people I love.

I survived the return to work post Winter Break - grateful it was only a 4-day week and even more grateful that each day flew by.  A co-worker was late on Thursday and we were starting to get a little worried when she texted my assistant and said 'I was just relaxing thinking 'so glad it's Saturday and that week went really fast'.  We all laughed over that - her mind had completely convinced her it was the weekend!  She was SUPER grateful when it was actually finally Friday!

My coworker in HR phoned me Thursday morning (her first day back) and said 'so what do you need HR to do to assist with the things that need to happen regarding our proposed settlement with the teachers?  Should we start updating salary schedules, etc.?'  I replied 'I'm not having my team do a single thing about it until we know for sure it's ratified - and since we won't know that until 1/13, there's nothing to be done but wait'.

But once it's known and if it ratifies, heaven help us all 'cuz there is a massive amount of work to be done in both departments.

On Friday morning, B. messaged J. that they had done a 25 mile ruck march with 50 pound packs in 18 degree weather - negative something with windchill.  He said he couldn't feel his face or hands at around mile 8.  My mom reaction was 'ask if he's ok?' and he said 'I am now - post warm shower'. 'Did they at least give you hot chocolate?', the mom asks?  'No, but I'm going to get some'.  The Army is TOUGH, friends.  My son especially.

 Today was a low key indoor day - continuing to work on email (now the Sent file needs attention) and things around the homestead.  This upcoming week won't be quite as low key as last week and I need to psych up for that.

H. was gone all night.  Texted J. around 2AM that he was spending the night.  Around 12 hours later, I realized 'we haven't heard from him in TWELVE HOURS' - and he didn't respond to J.'s texts.  Or calls.  I can't describe the scenarios that rush through my head - he's hanging around with some people who have a lot of drama always surrounding them and I worry a lot about that lately.  Just two days from the conversation wherein (I thought) we made it clear that we expected him to be more communicative.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Meryl Streep, thank you for your speech at The Golden Globes.  We rarely watch award shows but I'm so deeply glad that we tuned in just in time to see the speech.  Such a wonderful talent but more than that, such a wonderful person.  Thank you for putting into words what many of us are thinking 24/7 these days.

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...