Tuesday, April 29, 2014

It's Tuesday

Chloe is decidedly not right this morning.  She was whining to go out when I came downstairs just after 4AM and has been out more times than I can count.  She's trying to poop - but not pooping.  Over and over and over.  Her tail's still wagging and she seems 'chipper' but a mom knows - she keeps doing her upward dog yoga stretches trying to work out whatever's bugging her.  I think J. will need to take her to the vet and it's probably something simple like her gland needs to be emptied or something.  (Always truly grateful for a hubby who handles vet visits).

I woke up uber-early and realized I was heading back to sleep less than an hour before my alarm would go off so I got up.  It seemed wise at the time.  It seems less so an hourish later when I feel the need for sleep overpowering me.

Work passed quickly enough and I made slight progress on budget stuff.  Maybe the accomplishment of the day was just getting back into things - refreshing my memory on the status of things re: construction; getting updated by my boss; confirming plans for May board meeting, etc. .  It was a fine day as days go - and it felt sort of good to let the 'home' stuff pend (in my mind) for a bit and focus on something else besides PICC line flushes, appointments and the what-ifs of things.

Didn't hear from B. this weekend.  Well....wait a minute - I did hear from B. on Saturday (or maybe it was Friday) when he needed a loan.  Which I gave him.  Then I regretted giving it to him 'cuz he wanted to loan so he could go to Buffalo Wild Wings and watch some fight with his buddies.  I'm not sure I should be loaning him money to drink and carouse with friends?  Is that really a reason to ask someone to loan you money until payday?  (Which he thought was today but it's actually Thursday).  So then I ruminated many hours that night about B. and his drinking and scolded myself for enabling him to keep spending money on things that he really, truly doesn't need to spend money on.

The weather is turning scorching hot this week and I can feel it when outside this morning - the winter chill has left and it's cool but very warm for early morning.  90's later this week!

As I showered yesterday, I decided to try to shower like we used to at the cabin.  Get wet and turn off water.  Soap up.  Turn water on and rinse.  Don't let the water run while you're getting lids off things or closing things up.  We are in a serious drought and I feel compelled to do our part.  (I admit my motivation is the guilt I feel when we water patio flowers that are purely for color - not sustenance).

I'm even considering paying an outrageous amount of money for us to get our cars washed at the really 'good' car wash in town where I know they recycle water.  I can't bring myself to let H. wash the cars in the driveway...it seems like such a waste.

I'd gladly do all these things if the orange growers in the state could get more water for their trees....but I'm not really sure who/what/when/where it's decided on who gets water.  Seems very political - isn't everything?  And many are just giving up and letting the trees die which seems so wrong.

H. felt good enough to help with some cleaning things - climbed up on a ladder to thoroughly clean the ceiling fan in the family room.  I'm 'hiring' him to do the same in the bedrooms upstairs.  The cleaning crew swears they do the fans 'on rotation' but I truly think they haven't cleaned them in ages.  Of course, I noticed sitting in the family room when we had company over the weekend.

I have been awake close to two hours and other than taking the dog out a zillion times, I've done nothing productive.  Better remedy that.  I have thank you notes to write to folks who made us dinners.  Yesterday, so many folks offered to continue to cook for us but I just couldn't feel OK about that - I'm back at work and we will manage.  But someone said 'maybe on the weekends that H. has chemo, you might appreciate not having to think about dinner'. So we will see.  People are so kind.

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...