Monday, May 06, 2013

Nothing About Nothing

Nothing clever or witty or likely even remotely entertaining....such is the state of things....

The weekend was good.  J. and I spent Saturday shopping for luggage!  My suitcase totally fell apart (broken up fiber board mixed in and among my clothes was the first clue something was wrong) on the Georgia trip and J.'s lost the plastic 'legs' that help keep it upright.  Two new beautiful suitcases will accompany us to Cancun in just seven short weeks....

We are mailing the final payment today.  This year, more than any other time we've made the trip, is quite possibly the worst possible time to be away - but the condo is paid for; airfare is secured and darn it all - we are going.

I will have a new boss come July 1st.  I won't be there on July 1st 'cuz I will be at the beach - so the first impression my new boss will have is 'she's spending 11 days at the beach during my first couple weeks as the new Superintendent'.  Can't be helped...and I'm sure I'll meet whomever is in the job before I leave.

Yep...it's true.  My boss is moving to his home district - a great and wonderful move for him.  Eliminates a 40 minute commute (each way) and gives him more time to help his wife (who is a teacher) get their two young children to and from their various activities.

It's been a couple months that it's been a possibility and as the reality has slowly crept in, I'm working hard on accepting.  Spent weeks listening to what can only be categorized as 'break up' songs - mourning his departure and our loss.  He'd laugh and say 'what songs'?  I'd say 'I'm not telling you 'cuz 99% of the song doesn't have anything to do with you - but there's usually a line or two that resonates and so I keep it on repeat and let it all sink in'.

To say he is a great Superintendent is an understatement.  He is - truly one of the greatest - but it's also that he is truly a wonderful person.  His 'core' is centered and ego-less and he's so much darn fun to work with that you forget (most of the time) that he's torturing you by pushing you to do things you'd (often) rather not be doing.  But you do them...'cuz it's the direction he's leading.

We all follow.....

Now we will follow someone else.

I am heading in very early today - getting back into the groove of going in early and staying until the gates are about to be locked as I work on the new budget.  New finance system is making this an entirely new adventure and it's a bit overwhelming and scary at the moment.  I block full days on my calendar which usually leads to my boss coming in and saying 'hey, can you wedge in such and such 'cuz I looked at your calendar and you're booked solid'.  For him, I say 'sure'.  To everyone else, I say 'no, not [insert time increment here].  It's the only hope I have of not living in my office.  I think my record one budget year was 45 straight days - and I'm desperately trying to have at least one weekend day off each week.  Trying...but as the deadline approaches, I realize it's inevitable.  Budget is the hardest time of year every single year and this year will be 10 times that given it's a process and a system that I'm totally new at....just like I was six years ago....

B. had a weekend pass and spent time in Columbus with friends - movies, Massage Envy, good food, smoking cigars and generally being young men on a mission to have some fun.  He leaves for Ft. Bliss day after tomorrow and I hope to have a real physical address for him when he gets there.  I miss writing him.  Hopefully he will write back.  We miss seeing pics of him and feeling at least a little connected to him.  Now, it's like he has a 'job' - and he's not in touch much....which is hard on me (in particular).

H. got a call about a job that we hope will lead to something....anything.  Not because the $ situation is that dire - they gave notice on the apartment; H.'s best friend of all time moved to Houston; H. has unemployment so he's not totally insolvent....but because I don't think H. does well with nothing to do. He needs to keep busy and stay motivated - or he gets sort of 'lost'.  Hoping the phone call leads to an interview and a job that will keep him busy and have him making new friends.

He may move to Houston - his friend is scoping out the job market.  So we'll see.....

Second cup of coffee on the horizon.....

OH - I hesitate to mention this lest I jinx it - but we may be able to refinance our mortgage!  The loan is approved - just pending the appraisal - isn't that always the deciding factor?  We are pretty confident we will be able to refinance - it will just be a matter of deciding we would be OK to pay PMI if we aren't at 80% LTV.  We may be - but not positive....the appraisal should happen this week and we should know in a couple weeks what the official 'offer' is.  Here's hoping....

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...