Wednesday, May 01, 2013

El Paso!

B. got orders to report to Ft. Bliss in El Paso, Texas one week from today.  He is very excited - mainly to 'know' what is next and to get going!  It's been hard(est) on him to just be in 'pend' mode - doing work that he doesn't enjoy as 'busy work' while the wheels of assignment trudge along.  Knowing where and when is a good forward step for him and he's ready.

The only disappointment is it doesn't look like he will get any leave in between, which is a bummer....but we're hoping we can arrange a long weekend trip to El Paso in the not-too distant future for a visit.

Ft. Bliss is an armored division - so I'm surprised they are sending an infantry soldier there - but guess they have guys on foot accompany the tanks.

I don't see how any parent alive can read that last sentence and not get a bit of a gut clenching feeling....

Accompanying a tank.  On foot.  So the foot guys scope things out for the guys in the huge, armored vehicle as it lumbers along.

Yee gads.....

The anxiousness I was feeling about what would be next for him has given way to just a general anxiousness....though he is safe at Ft. Bliss, they are making deployments to Jordan.  'That's good!' people say 'cuz Jordan are allies of the US.  Translation:  Jordan doesn't despise us and won't try to kill Americans....but every country bordering theirs would...so somehow, that's not comforting.

A friend at work said 'I don't know how you are doing this - you are so brave.  If my son wants to join, I've told him I will break his legs so he can't.'.  (She doesn't mean it....not really).  I reply (as the parent of a young adult to the parent of a minor child still largely under parental control) 'if that's what he wants, you will support him.  You don't think you will, but you will - because that's our job as parents. What they want, we want for them.  And I'm not brave.  My son is.  I'm not.  I just try to cope and get through the day(s) as best I can.'

There is much change afoot in my life and I'm struggling under the weight of ten thousand boulders....I will write about some of it soon.  Today was a very hard day as the reality of what is happening sets in.

I know it will be OK.  I am positive it will...but change is just so damn hard and we've endured such a huge amount of change in the last few years....just when it was getting easier, it will be back to incredibly hard....

More soon.  If you're still out there reading, thanks.

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...