Sunday, October 11, 2009

Comp

We received an offer for a three night stay at MGM Grand - free! Guess it pays to go to Vegas and lose. My normally frugal husband was pretty up for a repeat visit and it was me being the level-headed 'um, well, I'd really love to but I think we should build up our savings again after we pay the Visa bill for the trip we just took'. I hate being rational. Another junket to Vegas would be a blast. But I'm sure we will be offered other rooms in the Spring.

I was shocked and surprised to read that Obama had won the Nobel Peace prize. When I told J. (upon his entering the study that morning) 'hey, Obama won the Nobel Peace prize', he laughed and said 'yeah, right'. I said 'I'm not kidding'. I don't feel he deserved it - and I don't mean that in a bad way since ya'll know I'm a fan of his. I just think it's a bit unfortunate that he received that award this early in his presidency - it seems a bit premature in so many ways. Gives the rights more to grouse about and even I have to admit that it seems strange. I can't say I feel he 'deserves' it. Or that he's earned it. But it is what it is. He now has more to strive for - and I'm hoping he will make huge progress and possibly be awarded that prestigious honor again someday. What an interesting choice - I feel badly for him because I do believe he is creating momentum for some really incredible things to happen. But that award is just too much, too soon. The guy is special in so many ways - truly, for me, one of the greatest President's I've been alive to witness. But that honor is just too soon....

I had lunch yesterday with a dear friend from my banking days - so fun to catch up. We're pretty sure we hadn't seen each other in around a year - and yet, we just pick up right where we left off. She's approaching retirement, though she isn't planning to - enjoying forced time off while she looks for her next career. How fun to have the luxury of taking your time and really letting the right job find you. Having done that myself, I know how great it is and how great it will all turn out...so I can't wait to see where her journey leads.

Also spent some nice phone time this past week with Bug, catching up with her. And we've booked a Saturday breakfast which will be great.

The boys are good - still making us crazy and yet exhibiting signs of growing up. They are not home more than they're home. They come and go at all hours. Curfew for H. is 10PM with bed at 11 on school nights. B. is an hour later though he does what he wants regarding sleeping. He's a bit of a night owl and would rather study and/or do other stuff into the wee hours of the morning. And so far, he's done very well getting himself up for school and leaving in plenty of time to make his AM commute over the Altamont as easy as possible. Hunter refereed at four soccer games yesterday and will now be running to the mailbox daily to see if his check is here. Hopefully, he'll get 2-4 days most weekends through November which will greatly help his perilous financial situation.

Fall weather is here...cool days and cooler nights. I've been enjoying sleeping with the windows open and being a bit snuggly with light blankets. Time to hit the yards for some catch-up weeding, pruning, etc. before the long, cold, wet winter days take over. Already looking forward to a week off at Thanksgiving and the two week Christmas break (which I hope to turn into a three week break like I did last year!).

Happy Weekend and have a great Monday!

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...