Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Kisses

H.'s birthday was low-key but fun for him, I'm reasonably sure. His 'girlfriend' arrived around noon and stayed until late evening. They spent the day upstairs playing video games, looking at My Space pages, etc. on the computer. Took a nap together. Yes, together. He slept with a girl on his 16th birthday which will most certainly make it memorable. J. and B. had left to run an errand and I heard the door upstairs close. I left my PC in the dining room (where I work on work stuff at home) and headed upstairs. Knocked politely (resisting the urge to tear the door off the hinges but wary of what might be going on behind those doors at the same time). He answered 'what?'. I replied 'please open the door'. 'Why'? 'OPEN THE DOOR'. So he did. I said 'no closed doors when there is a lady visiting. Period. End of story'. An 'OK' escaped his lips...and he was clearly irritated and mortified at the same time.

He appeared a few minutes later and allowed me to remind him of the 'absolutely no closed doors when you have a girl over' rule. He said 'she closed the door'. I reminded him this was his house, our rules and he should have said 'we need to leave the door open'.

I know they kissed a lot....but I think that's as far as it went. I didn't want anything else to go on that might be a 'special birthday gift'...and trust me, it could happen. Girls these days are very 'forward' and willing...and I'm a mom of a boy and I say 'no way'. I reminded him of all the things a mom reminds her son when she's trying to protect him and mortify him at the same time.

They took a nap, appearing about an hour later with post-sleep stuffy noses. We had take-out Chinese for dinner (H.'s pick). While she was here, two other girls delivered H. a heart-shaped cake with 'Happy 16, Boo'. Boo is his family nickname that somehow was shared with a teacher in grade school (shared by B.) and has followed H. throughout high school. He sort of secretly likes that girls call him 'Boo', I think.

After his girlfriend left, I said 'H., I have something I need to ask you'. He looked terrified. I said 'how is it kissing her since she had her lip pierced? Doesn't it get in the way? Do you notice it?'. He smiled and said 'it's great. No and no.' End of discussion.

I love to torture my kids.

1 comment:

organize_crime said...

hahahah

one of the best posts yet, although I'm terrified about my kids in the future.

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...