Sunday, February 25, 2007

Membership

We are officially members of SPELC in Tracy, CA. A Lutheran church - J.'s mom and dad are so happy, I'm sure. It is a welcoming place and feels like 'home'.

Our pastor made sure to tell the congregation that the first thing he said to the people attending the membership retreat was that we weren't here to follow him, our pastor. We had to be here to follow Him, our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. And that's true - that's the reason we are Christians.

I have always been 'quietly faithful' - faith-full also. But honestly, through this pastor, I am learning things about my faith that I never knew...understanding things from the Bible that I've never understood. Maybe it's just that I'm 'in a place' where I'm more open to receiving the message - but it's honestly more than that - this pastor has a way of bringing the words of the Bible to 'life'. It is very important to him that we all read the Bible and practice living our faith according to the Bible's teachings. And with his help in really 'getting' the message, it's really been a heart opening, spiritual experience. Far more so than I ever imagined. I am a Christian and always have been - but it is startling to me how my heart feels more full and serene lately. And that has to be from honestly 'getting' what Jesus did for me - for all of us. I don't think I've ever understood the sacrifice until now.

I am imperfect. I fail everyday in living according to God's plan. And I am forgiven.

I am selfish, petty, greedy. And I am forgiven.

I am not the best mother or wife or human being I could be. I am learning. And I am forgiven.

I have failed to love God with my whole heart - but I am trying. And I am forgiven. And He loves me with His whole heart - every minute of everyday - and that blessing is something that I don't think I've ever understood until recently.

Thank you, Pastor Kalvin. You are doing a great job and are honestly 'growing' THE MOST FAITHFUL (and FAITH-FULL) congregation in the entire city!

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...