Thursday, November 23, 2006

Thanks

Typical Thanksgiving. Have been cleaning and/or cooking non-stop since 8 AM this morning. The dishwasher has run no less than 7 times so far - with at least one more load to go to get all the crystal wine and water glasses washed and put away.

It was a smashing success and we gave away so many leftovers to the two single men attending that I will probably need to cook more tomorrow for us to have leftovers. But that's OK. It was delicious and filling and I am most thankful for the fact that this holiday comes once per year.

Nov. 21st was the 40th anniversary of my dad's death. Today (Thanksgiving Day) is my mother's birthday. November is a hard month for me and this November has been no exception. The 40th anniversary of the day that changed my life FOREVER is staggering to me this year for some reason.

I don't remember my dad much since I was only 6 when he died. I have a few memories of 'events' but no real memories of HIM - what he was like, what he looked like or sounded like. In talking more to my older sister this past year, though, I realize his death was much harder for her. She was a teenager when he died so she has lots of memories. She 'misses' him more than I do since she had more time to create memories with him and to really know him. And I'm getting to 'know' him a bit more through talking to her which has been really good for me. She said he always made sure he spent time with each of us every evening. I don't remember that but I know from her that he loved us very, very much. I wish I had known him better.

I wonder sometimes what our lives would have been like if he had lived. My mom would have stayed a 'traditional' stay at home mom. She would have been much, much happier and (to me and my little sister) a much 'better' mom. As it was, she was pretty much a shattered mess for most of my childhood and being 'happy' wasn't in her vocabulary. Still, she did a pretty darn amazing job of raising us and I'm grateful to her for that.

The dogs were miraculously perfect angels today. They didn't make a single bark toward our guests. Perhaps it was because they were out for a walk when all the company arrived so they didn't feel 'invaded'? Not sure but their NOT barking was a rare and wonderful thing. They stayed 'out' all day, running around downstairs and there wasn't a single accident - also a miracle. They are now wrestling in the study while I type this - we keep thinking they'll crash soon but they don't seem to be inclined to rest anytime soon. But I am heading upstairs for the night shortly. Glad the day was a success and admittedly, also glad it's over for another year.

Oh, and yesterday was Dani dog's 5th birthday. We celebrated by giving her one of the 'weiner dogs' from the Petsmart commercial which (like in the commercial) she carries with her off and on throughout the day. Too cute. Chloe got a pink one just like it - it's almost longer than she is. A new favorite 'game' is for the dogs to each have their weiner dog and one of the kids to be in the middle holding onto the weiners while the dogs wrestle them out of the kids hands. Too cute. We keep saying 'you really shouldn't eat your own kind' as they carry them around - but it really is cute.

I'm thankful for my family, for my new job and for my amazingly blessed life. I'm especially thankful for my friendship with my sister K. and for my husband J. who is my best friend and my 'love'. I am very blessed and I think knowing that is the thing I'm most thankful for.

1 comment:

Jim said...

Another sumptuous repast, dear. My thanks to you for putting up this feast every year. You always do such a magnificent job, and this was no exception, except maybe better.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...