Friday, October 20, 2006

Love

J. and I have been together for over 18 years, now. We will celebrate our 17th wedding anniversary in March. There aren't many 'suprises' in our relationship - we are steadfast and true and love each other in a way that 18 years creates. Bonded thoroughly and completely - sometimes because we have kids; sometimes because the mere thought of 'splitting up' involves more logistical and financial quagmires than either of us want to navigate. Marriage isn't easy, as anyone who's ever been married knows. Ours has been 'easier' than most, I think, though we've had a few 'rough spots'. He is my best friend and the person I most like to spend my time with. He makes me laugh everyday (not in a 'yeah, that was funny now leave me alone' way but in a real, deep THAT WAS FUNNY way). And when someone makes you laugh everyday, you know everything's OK.

And lately -

J. calls me a couple times during the day. Usually once during the day to say "hi" and again when he's on his way or close to home. And lately, when he calls, as soon as I say 'Hello?' he says 'Hey, baby'. And my stomach sort of 'lurches' when I hear his voice. Like it used to way back when - when we were 'dating' and I couldn't wait for him to call again. And then when he did, my tummy would 'tell me' how excited I was to talk to him. And that feeling is BACK. It's the way he says it - the tone, the inflection. And then he comes home and I'm cooking dinner and I ask him 'how was your day'? And he says, 'it's getting better'. And I say 'oh, why'? And he says 'because now I'm kissing my baby'.

I love him. He makes making macaroni and cheese something to write about.

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...