Sunday, February 05, 2006

Ketchup II

Today at Costco, we saw an older Inidian gentleman pay for a cup for a soda and then proceed to fill that cup UP TO THE TOP with ketchup from the ketchup pump. He put a lid on it, filled his other cup with soda and left with his cart full of items, his pilfered ketchup and his drink.

Even J. was shocked - and since he's been known to pilfer some condiments of his own from time to time (see previous post), I was relieved. I said 'if you ever go THAT far in frugalness and condiment hoarding, I'm done'. He replied 'with all the stuff I do, THAT would be the final straw?'

I won't leave him - not for condiment hoarding or the zillions of crazy, scatter-brained things he's done lately. Not for any reason. I'm staying for good. For better or worse, for richer for poorer, etc. I just hope we never reach the point in our 'old-ness' where filling a drink cup with ketchup seems like a good idea.

At least the guy filled the 2nd cup with soda instead of mustard.

1 comment:

Jim said...

Glad you're with me for the long haul, baby. But I would object to the "pilfer" characterization in my case.

But then, the more I think about your example here, there is less difference between the two acts than there is in their style.

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...