Wednesday, March 01, 2023

Host Change

We braved the potential weather on Sunday and drove to Reno to go to Atlantis.  Sunday will likely be a weekly thing since they changed my free play days - and added 3x comps on Sunday which is nice.  

As we entered the Washoe Valley, I could see blowing snow - just a bit - from the median onto the freeway.  That is what happened in January, 2022 when we ended up getting stuck for hours and routed back to Reno.  I told J. 'that's a bit concerning' but it wasn't snowing and there wasn't snow expected so we figured it would be OK.   

I told J. 'we'll just go, play a wee bit, have brunch, say goodbye to our (retiring) host Mary and head home'.  Easy peasy. 

Only....I won $2200 within the first five minutes of play (yes, really) and things just took off from there.  Ended up playing into the afternoon often with Mary joining me to chat.  It was an epic day of wins!  Really awesome.  Two hand pays and three Majors on Dragonlink.  That's a great day! (Yes, I have pics - lots - but I feel unsure about posting them so I won't). 

We left around 3PM and as soon as we got on the freeway, we saw the electronic signs saying that the freeway was closed in the Washoe Valley.  I immediately thought 'oh no - it's like last year'.  But it wasn't.  Not quite.  Old 395 was open so we exited the freeway and headed south via that route and it wasn't too bad.  There were a couple places that were super icy but we passed them easily.  NDOT did a great job - had snow plows on Old 395 in full force to ensure we could get through.  

We made it home (phew!) shortly before more snow began to fall.  We saw pics on our local Carson news web page with lots of cars spinning out in the Washoe Valley - 16 incidents reported.  Yikes!

Yesterday, the freeway was closed between Carson City & Reno - which hasn't happened before since we moved here.  Blizzard conditions - strong winds, blowing/falling snow and all expected to continue for a long time.  Wild.  No point in sugarcoating it with 'chains required' (which also keeps us home 'cuz we have cables but we avoid using them at all costs - even if it means we stay home and miss things in Reno). 

It's Wednesday morning now and our cleaning ladies and I agreed that them coming today was not a great idea.  We have A LOT of standing snow in the streets and I worry about them unloading and trekking across ice and snow.  The main cleaning lady is young but her helper might be her mother?  And I was pretty worried about a slip and fall.  I texted her - and she said 'I was about to write you, too'.  So we cancelled today and will see them in 3 weeks - that will get us back our our usual every other week schedule.  

I am strangely motivated to clean my own house this week so yay for that.  We can do it!  

I hear the comforting sound of T.'s snow blower starting to clear our corner of the world and have a fresh cup of steaming hot coffee to warm me up.  

It's going to be a great day. 

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...