Thursday, February 23, 2023

The Comforting Sound of a Snowplow

Our epic neighbors T. and G. were in Hawaii for two weeks as Carson experienced more snow than we've ever seen since moving here.  It was fine - we don't have a lot of places to go or stuff we 'must' do on any given day anyway so no big deal to feel snowed in.  They posted pictures of beautiful sunsets and great food and libations while we dealt with snow blindness and epic cold.  I was jealous for sure.  In their absence, our (other) amazing neighbor M. shoveled off show from sidewalks and our driveway during the days when the snow was thick. 

We are on a(nother) winter storm watch until Saturday at noon and there's a fair amount of new snow this morning.  Back to not being able to see street pavement, grass on the golf course or the tops of the boulders in our back yard.  Also not many plants visible either.  

I heard an engine running outside and knew right away that it was our neighbor T. out with his snowplow.  He's clearing all the sidewalks and driveways on our side of the street and he does this every single time it snows enough to leave measurable snow on the ground.  J. noticed that he's upgraded - his new snow plow is bigger and faster - he is serious about his 'toys'. 

Epic human, he is.  Truly.  We are so blessed with wonderful neighbors.  

Now one of us will be able to trek to get the mail at some point which we haven't for a few days.  

Yesterday, I had to run to the bank to do a transfer from our savings account to checking so I could pay our property tax installment which is due on 3/1.  I decided to just 'run down the street' to the ATM near Wendy's - but when I approached the ATM, I could see the 'out of service' notice.  Argh.  I got back in the car and texted J. to say I would be driving to the branch closest to our house anyway - so I did.  As I pulled into the parking lot, a 'cell' of sleet was overhead and when I got out of my car, it was what I think being inside a snow globe would be like - I was quickly surrounded by swirling small balls of ice which continued as I walked from my car towards to bank doors.  It was wild - and kind of cool.  Though really, super cold.  

I headed to the ATM inside the branch - which I prefer to go to because you can define what bills you'd like your withdrawal to be in, including 100's, 10's, 5's and 1's.  Makes it easy to be sure we have small bills for tips as soon as we get to Atlantis.  Anyway - guess what?  It was out of service, too!  The guy was removing the bill containers and I said 'Fudge!' as I realized it was out of service.  He said 'sorry - it will be a few minutes'.  I said 'I drove here from the ATM on Carson because it's out of service, too'.  I ended up going to a teller which was OK.  I ended up doing my transfers at the ATM outside - the teller offered to help but you have to tell them which account and it's always complex (we have a lot of accounts) so I said 'no thanks, I'll just use the outside ATM'.  Thankfully the sleet cell had moved on so it wasn't super cold at that point. 

The cleaning crew cancelled for yesterday - no explanation but it could have something to do with either being Ash Wednesday?  Or it was a beautiful day for skiing with lots of fresh snow.  I didn't make any issue 'cuz it really didn't bother me a bit - I felt sort of glad we'd just have the place all to ourselves for that day and the rest of the week.  They will be here next week instead and then we'll wait three weeks for the next cleaning to keep our days the same.  SCORE!  Moved the saved fee (2 times in six weeks vs. the usual 3 times in six weeks) to our fun money account.  

J. and I are passing the day slowly working on taxes.  We've been running the heatilator in the Great Room a bit and Nala is thrilled to be basking in the super heat.  We've gone back to running the Rumba a lot - our Dyson stick vac isn't holding a charge well so it takes forever to do a good floor sweep with the vac.  It's a common thing and likely a new battery will solve the problem.  We will start looking.  

I saw a friend who is mostly off of Facebook online so had a fun, quick catch up with her.  Nice to visit.  She's tired of the cold, too.  She lives in the Sacramento/Elk Grove area so snow is rare but the cold has been ever-present all winter, she says.  She's ready for Spring.  As are we.

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...