Thursday, March 03, 2022

Subscription Everything

We are long time users of Yahoo Mail.  Using their mail platform allowed us to maintain our very old email addresses - with pacbell.net as the 'carrier'.  Anyone in California realizes just how far back that carrier goes.  

Beginning on the 1st of February, Yahoo Mail became a subscription service.  They aren't telling you that up front - you don't have to subscribe.  But apparently if you don't pay $5 a month, your email in-box will become essentially worthless as dozens of spam emails flood your box.  If you pay the fee, they will help assist you in 'unsubscribing' from various companies you're not interested in hearing from.  And hopefully leave spam in your spam box instead of sending it to your in box. 

We're starting to think we will subscribe and hope that eases the overload.  I'm not a 'do email daily' kind of gal - I do look at email daily and read any that I need to read.  But I delete massively when I'm sitting around waiting for someone or something vs. being an on top of it 'cleaning out daily' person.  But with the influx of spam it's almost impossible to wade through the in-box. It's maddening. 

So...something to ponder in a world of things to ponder. 

As each day passes, it seems less and less likely that B. will be deployed anywhere.  What is happening to Ukraine is so sad and tragic and there are a lot of US troops nearby - though not in Ukraine.  Maybe they've sent the troops they intend to send and B.'s company won't have to go.  We are still sort of in a holding pattern - which is much harder on B. than it is on me and J. and a gazillion times less hard for the three of us than it is for soldiers with wives and kids.  The massive logistics of knowing you are going to be out of the country for months - it's hard to contemplate.  I asked B. a week or so ago 'what will you do with your US Mail?'.  He said 'haven't even thought about that'.  

I'm excited about heading to Atlantis for a couple days.  J. has decided he will head to California tomorrow instead of waiting until Saturday - he thinks he can get to California between the two big storms.  I just tried to downsize my purse for the weekend - will see if I think it will work.  I always feel like I'm hunting through my massive purse for this or that and keeping things smaller would eliminate carrying stuff that I have 'just in case'.  But....the smaller purse is truly small.  Still pondering.  Which feels appropriate 'cuz it's my Winnie the Pooh Dooney & Bourke bag and Pooh ponders a lot, too.  

I took our neighbors six more lobsters this morning and then put what's left in our freezer in ziploc bags. Wiped out that side of the freezer with the alarm beeping to tell me over and over 'hey, the freezer is open'.  Right.  I know.  

Mufasa has been my shadow lately.  I had to come out to the kitchen at 2:30AM to get some Advil for a pounding headache.  She jumped up on the counter and was so excited for human company.  She seemed super disappointed when I headed back down the hall to my bedroom.  I'm not drinking anything 2-3 hours before I go to bed - but when you've consumed a pizza (super salty mozzarella), I was (apparently) pretty dehydrated.  Some water and Advil did the trick and I was back to sleep pretty quickly.  

Muf's been following me around all morning from room to room as I tidy, do the purse swap, throw some laundry in the washer, etc. .  She's a love bug.  So is Nala.  J. is Nala's human and I'm Muf's.

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...