Saturday, September 07, 2019

Refrigerator Work

I'm working on going through both refrigerator freezers and planning meals around what we have.  Found some frozen cooked ground beef and frozen cooked Italian sausage so we're doing a Taco night and spaghetti.  Also some chicken tenders for another night.  I'm getting things out to thaw every couple of days.  J. treks to the grocery store every couple of days anyway for milk (H. is here.  He drinks more milk than anyone I've ever known) so I give him a list of the few things we'll need for each dinner I'm planning.  We're not going to do huge stock up trips anymore.  Eat what we have as much as we can to be as cleaned out as possible when the time comes for us to move to temporary housing.

Still have no idea when that will be but it will happen - I'm confident it will.

Also finding things that I'm just getting rid of.  J. went to a local restaurant a while back to pickup takeout and they had avocado ice cream - so we tried it.  It was tossed today.  It wasn't awful.  But it wasn't great, either.  No one will ever eat it - even H. - so out it went.  Also a bunch of 'smoothie' ingredients here for over a year that I'm not using.  Berry mixes with kale and seeds and stuff.  I'd try it but...no.  I'd rather not.  I tried once and that's it.  I'm over it and they'll be tossed tomorrow.  

Just tackling a little bit a day and looking forward to it being completely cleaned out soon.  

I'm not a huge fan of sandwiches - but I'm trying to get used to them for lunch.  I convinced J. that while I understand H. prefers white bread and I don't eat enough bread to buy a second loaf of something more substantial, we do need to buy white bread that has some firmness and texture.  Not white bread that basically becomes mush upon adding sandwich fixings.  Yesterday, I used a half of a tomato and made a delicious tomato sandwich for lunch.  It was seriously scrumptious and might be a new favorite sandwich.  J. bought potato bread which isn't H.'s favorite but it will have to do.  Cheap white bread is just mushy and gross.  

It's now Saturday and we jumped start our morning by getting a call for a showing at 11AM - at 9:45.  I had just finished making myself an egg and hot dog breakfast sandwich on a hamburger bun.  The bun and hot dog were 'use them up' items identified as I went through food this week.  We scrambled to get the house squared away in a rush and left for the park just as they were all arriving.

Chloe loves going to the park - she gets to be off leash and run like crazy jumping through the tall grass.  I think H. and J. are less vigilant than I was about her wanderings - which is my 'Mom-ness' vs. their 'she's fine-ness'.  I just worry she'll bolt after a dog or get to close to the street and make a run for it.  It's a busy street.  She sniffs everywhere and tries to head for home.  It was fun watching her be 'puppy-like'.  Completely joy-filled.

We got back from the park about 20 minutes later (saw the realtor's car and the family's car as we started toward our car - J. uses the alarm data on his phone to know when they've left).  J. went for a walk.  When he returned home 30ish minutes later, he went upstairs to get showered and changed and discovered that they had turned on the fireplace in his bedroom and left it on.  The room was hot!

He phoned the realtor and she said it was likely the 8 year old girl that had turned it on - it has a slight delay when it fires up so it's possible they didn't know it had been turned on.

I cleaned out my purse which required vacuuming it out.  Also cleaned out (vacuumed) two tote bags we use a lot and J. is running those through the washer.  Then I used Qtips and rubbing alcohol to clean the tower fan.  I tried just vacuuming the dust out - which usually works - but the dust wasn't budging with the vac brush so I used cotton swabs and cotton pads with the rubbing alcohol to really get it clean.

We've cleaned surfaces in the house that haven't been cleaned in ages which feels great.  We called our cleaning company to suspend services for now because we're doing all that needs to be done (and then some) to keep the house ready for showings.

Yesterday, we had a call with our builder who acknowledges that the 10/30 contract date for close of escrow won't happen.  More issues with work crew and the plumber he's used for decades deciding to retire with little notice and no continuation of the plumbing company.  I asked 'so will I be using my double oven for Thanksgiving or is it likely Christmas'.  He said 'oh no, I'm aiming for November before the 'big snow' starts.  Great.  In a week, he will send us a timeline of the entire build so we'll know what will be happening when.

We feel better.  But I have a sick feeling in my stomach that it's going to be later than November....and that leads to a horrible thought that we won't be in the house until next Spring.  I don't want to be in temp housing for multiple quarters.  One quarter, sure.  More than one?  No.  Please.  Just no.

I remind myself to stop worrying about things I can't control - take a deep breath and it will be as it will be.  Everything is unfolding as it should.  We aren't in control of most of it and we will be totally fine no matter what.  

Next steps are to sell this house which will help us work through the timeline for when we will be out of this house and in temp housing up there.

I'm not sure why but I have felt absolutely exhausted for most of the day so I plan to head to bed early.  

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...