Monday, April 01, 2019

Type A Flu

I woke up this morning feeling like I'd been hit by a truck - my skin hurt.  Every joint hurt.  Huge headache.  Cough continuing with the added muscle pain from 24+ hours of coughing.  It was a horribly long night and I didn't sleep much.

After careful consideration, I went to the infirmary this evening.  It's expensive - but we will receive itemized bills that we can submit to our insurance carrier with our credit card statement confirming we paid out of pocket.  I have no idea how much it will be - I know the 'consult' with a doctor was $149 and meds are on top of that.  They did a nose swab to test for flu - the nurse gave me two tissues and warned 'your brain won't know how to handle it.  You'll feel like you want to sneeze, cough and cry all at the same time.'  I did a little of all three.  It was uncomfortable but also very quick, thank goodness.  5 minutes later, the doctor came in with the 'gauge' and said 'very positive for Influenza Type A'.  Great.

I am quarantined to my cabin for at least the next 24 hours - and the great news about that is I will get free room service - 24 hours they will bring me anything I want with no service charges!

(I don't feel much like eating so...I will order lightly - but it will be nice because J. is going on an excursion in the morning and he won't be around to help me.  I will be miserable all alone.  But I don't want him to miss the excursion we paid for).

I felt like crap most of last week - but willed myself to 'just get to the ship.  Just get there'.  I think it was sort of 'pre-flu' - and once we were onboard, BOOM!  I succumbed.

Here's hoping Tamiflu does the trick - I hope to wake up feeling a little better tomorrow and will be super glad.  There is no worse feeling than the aches that come with flu.  My skin hurts.  I'm hot/cold constantly.

They put J. on a prophylactic dose of Tamiflu as well - because we are in 'close quarters'.  He's had a flu shot - I have not.  I won't ever skip a flu shot again.  I pinky swear.

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...