Wednesday, October 03, 2018

Carson City, Here We Come!

No update on the timing of the house - we wish we had more information.  I just have to remind myself there were 30ish homes ahead of us and now that the development is really getting off the ground, I'm sure it will be some time before it's our turn.  Boy, is it hard to wait! 

Today, we trekked in to San Francisco to meet with our finance guy.....and today is THE DAY when I am absolutely positive I am retiring at the end of this school year.  Zero reason not to - honestly, it seems like I could have stopped working a long time ago.  But that's OK.  Put us in an (even) better position and now?  Really.  I have zero reason to work.  Zip. 

It's liberating.  And scary as hell.  Our finance guy was incredibly reassuring - he is the epitome of calm and cool and since he spends all of his time studying the markets and has a pretty good read on things, we feel very confident.  He was very reassuring and is going to be arranging a once a month deposit that will replace most of my salary....which is pretty great since I also have a decent pension.

We are so, so blessed.  And I give J. most of the credit - his 37+ years at Wells Fargo really sealed our future in the best way possible. 

When J. and I were 'early married' - still with kid(s) 'cuz B. came into our world 10 months after we got married - we would go to San Francisco once in a while and always ALWAYS make a trip to the champagne bar at Nordstrom.  I loved Bellini Peche which was ridiculously expensive at Nordstrom but we always splurged and bought it.  (I later found it at BevMo for a gazillion times left but still - I wouldn't trade those memories for anything).  We thought about heading there today after our meeting was over?  But luckily, we headed home - Chloe is at the vet getting a glucose curve and they close at 5.  We got home at 4:15 and that was with no Nordstrom stop. 

So I've opened up my next favorite alcohol treat - an ice cold Blue Moon. 

I took today off to go to the city so it's back to work tomorrow - wishing I could always have Wednesdays off.  I'm sure my boss would agree if I proposed a modified schedule?  But there are lots of other people who would love to work 4 ten hour days to have a day off each week - so it won't happen.  We tried it one summer and it was a convincing exercise in how hard it is to stay motivated for ten full hours a day. 

I'm running some retirement scenarios on the PERS website and also fine tuning our monthly budget.  Heating leftover ravioli lasagna (a Costco ready made meal) and enjoying the realization that in nine months (that will undoubtedly fly by), I am giving up alarm clocks and the stress of a job.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hooray for you! So happy for you and Jim. You will love, love, love retirement 😊

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...