Thursday, March 03, 2016

Steady Wins the Race

J. made the annual trip to San Fran yesterday to meet with our finance guy.  I would have loved to go. It's always loads of fun to be in 'the city' and enjoy a nice lunch.  Even the issues around parking at BART don't negate the fun of making a trip there.  I just couldn't wedge it in - so J. had to go solo.  I spent evenings getting stuff together and running scenarios and printing out info about my retirement pension, etc. - and sent J. off with a list of questions.  (Some/most were questions we've asked previously that haven't been answered clearly - which is fine except as we get closer to milestones like J. being 70 1/2 (still a few years away but looming) and being required to take 'mandatory withdrawals').

I've been down in the dumps a lot lately 'cuz I've felt like we've done so many things 'wrong'.  Surely, we must have - right?  'cuz here we are with me working away, feeling like retirement is a million miles away and scratching my head thinking 'we've been saving so much - how is it possible that I STILL can't see clear to retire'.  The good thing about the meeting is the realization that if it weren't for The Great Recession, I likely would be able to not work again - but like many people, that multi-year event hit us hard.  But it's OK - and honestly, considering how bad it was, we are in pretty decent shape.  I will plug along, with days passing so quickly, I can't believe that it's already March; another school year under my belt and winding down.  And soon - probably quicker than I can imagine - we will be there.  Ready to pick up and move to Nevada and start our next adventure - with plenty of savings and good income and lots of fun things to do.  Weekly trips to the library come to mind. It will get here and the longer I work, the more amazing the retirement will be.  So I shall.

Days like today when I come home and seek alcohol are few and far between (thank goodness).  But the next few months may be the hardest few months ever - and I say that with a slight amount of trepidation.  Having no payroll (except me) and no assistant (except me) for the past few months has been hard - and I now have two great people in those jobs and we are making steady progress - but it's really time consuming and awe inspiring to realize the stuff that's heading our way.  It will be OK - I am sure of that.  And a peer was so stressed out today, she was practically frantic and I sat there thinking 'really?  You have so very little on your plate compared to me and I'm not freaking out'. Then I remembered that comparing yourself to others is never a good thing - so I came home and had a beer.  And ignored the email she sent where she's basically asking me to do something for her - I won't.  But I won't reply to that email until I've had a little more sleep and am less angst filled than right this moment.

On a good note - you know your 25 year old son is truly growing up when you realize he used your car last night (way late 'cuz he was here when I went to bed) and returned it with a full tank of gas. He's driven it all over the place this week and we've been doing OK logistically and I don't mind it a bit but it sure was great to have him paying for the gas he's using.

Chicken pot pie, Blue Moon and 4 thin mints.  I'm calling it a night soon -

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...