Saturday, February 20, 2016

Here's to Weekends

Having taken off last Sunday as the only day off for three weeks, weekends are losing their luster for me.  I am up by 7 (which is sleeping in a couple of hours and is awesome!) and heading to work soon...giving myself a little more time to linger at home.  Watching Justice Scalia's funeral mass.  I admire his son (a priest) being able to preside over the services for his father - that seems incredibly hard to do but he's doing it.

Thursday was my only meeting free day in the last two and one upcoming week so I was anxious to spend the day digging in to my huge report.  Things went well until 11:30AM when the light in my office started flickering.  I figured 'bad florescent bulb' and carried on.  It flickered a lot and then BOOM - lights out.  Power was out for close to two hours.  We do what we always do with no power - start tidying desks, filing, etc..  Doing what we can do in the dark of our office with only the light from windows and the doors we open.

Power came back on and we all breathed a sigh of relief and prepared to get back into work - only to discover that while the power was back on, our Internet connection was definitely not.  Our provider had lost connection and it took a full 12 hours (overnight) for them to restore our service.  It's a big deal because we work on a finance system through a connection to our County Office - so no connection meant no access.  Nothing.  For hours.  I was starting to feel panicked 'cuz my big report has a firm deadline and I was already so far behind....unbelievable 'behind' in comparison with past report time lines.  My days are filled with keeping two new people busy and assisting with what I can - and time to take them around to sites and meet people.  It's been a really challenging couple of weeks with so many deadlines looming - so the report has taken a back seat.

Luckily, everything was restored yesterday and I was able to opt out of a morning meeting (that would have been 4 hours had I attended) and I did get much done.  Hoping that with some additional time this weekend, I will start this upcoming week in better shape.  Next week, there are absolutely no meeting free days of any kind....so.  Nose to the grindstone.

B. has confirmed he has pending orders to report to Ft. Campbell in Kentucky sometime this Spring/early summer.  He's beyond excited!  I think he just needs something 'new' now and then to keep him engaged.  He's also going to arrive home on 2/27 and be home until 3/13!  Ticket already purchased and he's excited to have a couple weeks here.  He's purchased a new set of Calloway clubs and will definitely be spending time across the bay with his friend C. - and he keeps reminding me that he's going to branch out a bit this trip - do some things on his own and not be here every night. A vacation within a vacation - and I am excited that he's reached the age where you want to spend time away from your parents.  It's the natural order of things.  Fond memories of my first solo vacation to Reno on my mind.  He's growing up -

Weather is cloudy today - sort of disappointing 'cuz I thought it was supposed to be sunny.  Though it does make it much easier to head to work - not a pretty day so might as well just head to work.

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...