Monday, February 01, 2016

Embrace the Suck

The maneuvers B. has been in for a month are a really big deal.  There have been some articles in El Paso newspapers sharing what was done and the complexity and planning that went into this event is really amazing.  For the last part of the training, B. has been cell phone silent so it's felt a little bit like the days he was in Basic Training and we spent our days trolling Facebook and the base website looking for any sign of him.  No pics of him popped up this time - though there was a pic of a guy who looked EXACTLY like him - but B. confirmed it wasn't him.  He was still pretty limited on what activities he could do 'cuz he hasn't been fully released from restrictions related to his knee tendon surgery.

One of the articles shared that the soldiers are told to "Embrace the Suck"....'cuz much of what they were doing and the conditions they were doing it in totally suck - and there's no getting around it.

I'm feeling like "Embrace the Suck" might be my mode for the next few months, too.  The days are so jammed with 'stuff'....and I'm so buried with everything coming at me.  My email in box had 50+ emails before noon today - and the post-noon round wasn't much lighter.  Hopefully, today was an anomaly - a couple of the voluminous email subjects should resolve soon.

For now, I just try to get 8 hours sleep a night; drink plenty of water and iced tea during the day; encourage myself to do a better job every day than I did the day before; try my best always; and remind myself often that this hectic time will pass....eventually.

Monday evening and I'm watching Downton Abby - totally forgot last week so watched last Sunday's episode over the weekend.  Time for the re-watch.  I always watch them twice right in a row.


No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...