Sunday, January 24, 2016

Post Events

The re-dedication ceremony at our rebuilt school was a wonderful time.  I was surprised when J. and I were directed to sit in 'reserved' seats at the front - and even more surprised when my boss publicly recognized and thanked me for the work I contributed to making the project happen.  He joked that I kept him on budget (which was pretty hard).  It's such a beautiful school.

My only 'uh oh' about it is:  it's so much nicer than all our other schools now and there are newly created inequities in many areas....so we'll have a lot to do to bring our other schools up to the same speed.

I went to the office for a few hours post-event.  Got a few things done.  I had planned to stay most of the afternoon but just couldn't do it - and rationalized 'it's OK - I'll just work a longer day tomorrow'.

Around 3:15PM, I was home and taking off my eye makeup.  (I rarely even bother with eye makeup most days - eyelashes are so thin, it's hardly worth the effort - but it was a special event so I did full makeup).  I felt like my eye was very dry - and it felt 'strange'.  Then I felt like something was in it and I said 'something's wrong with my eye'.  And H. was in the room and said 'Mom! something's wrong'.  It was a subconjunctival hemorrhage that quickly filled much of the white of my eye with blood.  I've had broken capillaries before - but this?  Not even remotely close to the same thing.  It felt like something was in my eye - and upon racing upstairs to the makeup mirror in the bathroom, I realized that my eyeball was mis-shapen and that's what I was feeling.  MY EYEBALL WAS OVER THE EDGE OF MY LOWER LID....

After back and forth re: what should we do? we headed to the ER.  I didn't want to spend the money (new deductible in process now) but I was scared.  The registration people took me right away (jumped the line) and then the triage people did the same.  In the end, a doctor exclaimed 'wow, you poor thing', checked my retina ('beautiful') and sent me home with a pain pill and anti-nausea (because the pain meds could cause nausea) administered there and an Rx for more pain meds. The nurse also took a bunch of blood but it turns out he did that for no reason 'cuz the doctor never ordered that.  (??).

J. had plans to attend a music concert here in town with his friend R. - and he made it to their dinner 'date' at 6:30PM as planned.  I was home with H. trying to deal with the very uncomfortable sensations in my eye.  Bed around 9 and not a lot of good sleep - I slept - but just 'surface' slept most of the night.  The Rx was sent to a pharmacy that was already closed last night - and then this morning, J. went to pick it up to find that it was never sent.  Long wait on the phone with the ER department and finally have the meds - which leave me feeling pleasantly sleepy.  Takes the edge off the constant discomfort of blinking, etc. - heaven help me if I have to blow my nose or sneeze.  It's painful and odd and more than irritating.

J. bought an eye patch but that won't work under my glasses.  I look hideous.  When you Google the condition, NONE of the pictures you will see look even remotely close to as bad as this is - it's seriously horrible.  Deep, dark red blood - no white showing at all - and pooling blood at the base of the eye that has nowhere to go until it's reabsorbed.  2-3 weeks of this.  Yeah me.

I gave up working today - I will just have to work longer days this week and it is what it is.  :-)

I've got a zillion Law & Orders taped upstairs and plan to head there soon for the duration of the afternoon/evening.  Hoping for some dozing here and there 'cuz I do feel really tired.

No real 'cause' other than dry eyes combined with the pressure of eye makeup removal, apparently.

I have managed to open a week's worth of mail..necessitated by long days that have me home for a couple of hours and then heading to bed.  Nothing of great importance though the tax documents are pouring in.  I'm just slotting those envelopes in the tax file next to my desk and moving on for now. We bought TurboTax at Costco already but I'm just not ready to go there yet.

Haven't heard from B. at all - poor guy had to miss any birthday greetings 'cuz their unit was prohibited from using their phones for a TBD length of time.  Hoping to hear from him soon -

H. starts school again tomorrow and he's ready!  He's enjoyed sleeping in but he's ready to get back at it and be one semester closer to finishing his Process Technology A.S.!  Love his motivation!  Go, H.!!

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...