Friday, July 12, 2013

Home-like

Wednesday night, I noticed I had hives on large sections of my body....true sun poisoning.  I felt like I was channeling my mom who spent most of her time on the beach with long sleeves,  a huge hat and some uber-powerful sun screen on 24/7.  If she didn't, she would end up so physically sick, she would be in bed.  And she'd get horrible sores on her lips.  I didn't get those - thank goodness - but probably only because I knew what the bumps were and knew that my plans for spending a couple more hours soaking up rays on our last morning at the beach were now going to be in doors.

We packed and left right on time - and then proceeded to have an incredibly long travel day.  I decided to pay the fee to watch Direct TV on the flight from Cancun to Houston - which unfortunately ended with me missing the very end (the most important part!) of a movie and being so distracted that I left my Kindle in the seat pocket.  J. rushed back and one of the flight attendants looked and said it wasn't there.  But I knew it was - and J. went back again and they let him check the pocket himself now that others had left the plane - and he found it!  Thank goodness!!

Our flight from Houston to San Fran was delayed due to the crash at SFO - so we taxied out to the runway and waited for a bit.  Thankfully, they offset the delay by cutting the flying time 40 minutes (fast plane!) and we arrived only about a half hour later than our original arrival time.  Home by 11PM - which was 1AM where we were.  Boy, were we tired!  We arrived at SFO just before sunset and the plane wreckage was on my side of the plane (we sit in aisle seats across from each other usually). Surreal to see it there....a crane at the ready to lift it onto a truck but four days after the crash, it's still there.  Still news crews around the airport; lots of bright lights on the site; and a whole lot of planes lining up to land on one runway that usually land on two.  The guy sitting next to us had a quick connection to get from SFO to Burbank - and I felt so bad for him when I looked at the departure board as we were walking to get our bags and his flight was delayed until after 11PM.  He was already dead tired and had a bad cold - felt so sorry for him having to sit around SFO for a few hours before hopefully being able to get on a plane and go.

Want to clean out your pantry?  Leave a 20 year old male in the house alone for a couple weeks and you won't have much left.  He used all the powdered sugar for something - then put brown sugar in the powdered sugar canister (it is clearly labeled with a silver sharpie on a blue lid).  I don't think he knows the difference between different types of sugar.  Come to find out:  there are a heck of a lot of things he doesn't know how to do - every single dish in the house (practically) was dirty and still in the sink. The only things in the dishwasher were the few items we placed in it as we left the house our last morning home - he had not rinsed or washed or loaded anything for close to 12 days.  The kid is seriously inept.

Welcome to your summer, H. .  My name is Majah and I am your basic life skills teacher.  Your mother apparently did a horrific job of teaching you basic skills so I will be teaching (read: torturing) you with lessons like how to load the dishwasher; how to do laundry; how to clean up after yourself (wiping counters, table tops, etc.).  The kitchen was a disaster - to the point that both J. and I dropped some choice expletives that rarely, RARELY leave our mouths.  I said my piece and went to bed.  J. got up uber early this morning to keep working away on the disaster formerly known as our kitchen (that I admired as we were leaving - tidied, clean and ready for us to be away).  I am so sorry, kitchen - I had no idea we had unleashed a monster upon you.

Klink is OK - he's here talking to me now.  Telling me all about how he's been so lonely.  He's getting lots of extra love today and I will make him a meal of fresh shredded chicken later today.  J. and H. went to pick up the dog - missed her, too.

I've already been up and out on a work related call to one of the schools where we think there was an attempt at copper pipe theft.  One of our other schools had a huge incident last week - and we think they hit this school last night attempting to get pipe to sell.  2 hours and I'm back home - tidying up the kitchen a bit (counters and tables, etc.).  Scrounged in the pantry and made oatmeal.

It's only left 'cuz he can't boil water.  I'm eating it with brown sugar I got out of the powdered sugar canister.  No milk.

Let the lessons begin!


No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...