Friday, June 28, 2013

Vacaciones!

It's official!  Am about to ceremoniously move my work keys from my purse and into the desk drawer where they will sit until the night before I go back to work.  They are heavy and I'm not schlepping them to Mexico.

Today was my first full day off and I have to admit I've been pretty darn lazy.  I did finally get moving and headed to Target to pick up some last minute stuff.  And I also got my swim suit on and swam for awhile - and scrubbed the pool and spa.  Even put on my diving mask (we had them out to get things ready for the trip) and attempted to scrub the bottom of the pool.  Not sure how successful I was.  Who knew fat was so buoyant?  No weight belt so I had a hard time staying on the bottom.  Did somehow manage to scrape my knuckles across the bottom, though - so that's proof I did eventually manage a few passes with the brush.  The scraped knuckle is a great addition to the burn that's finally looking better - a burn that happened on Father's Day when I made cupcakes for dessert and promptly turned into the worst thing ever.  In a horribly bad place on my right (dominant) hand and it refused to heal.  It's finally improving.

It is hot here - but I have to be careful about saying that 'cuz it's approaching 120 degrees in Phoenix which is where my family lives...so Holy Cow - makes our 102 seem 'mild' in comparison.  We are running both AC's AND even splurged and heated the pool a couple degrees.  We can't use the cover 'cuz the algae is continuing to perplex us - so it was a tad cooler than I like it.  Heater worked like a charm!

Tomorrow, we will pack and organize stuff around here.  Also take Chloe to the puppy spa - enlisting H.'s help in transporting her.  The kennel moved from a little bit down the street to a couple cities away and a drive on the freeway with a crazy dog isn't something that's safe to do alone.  H. is available -

I am a little nervous about leaving H. alone for close to two weeks.  I agreed I would 'front' him some of the money he will earn for being the person responsible for the care and maintenance of the house - but I fear as soon as he has it, he will spend it.  Two weeks is a long time for a kid who spends every dime he gets the minute he gets it.  I'm tempted to 'hide' money in envelopes strategically hidden around the house - like a Christmas scavenger hunt in July - and reveal them every few days.

I also gave him a Winco gift card for food - thinking he and his roommate had shopped there a lot when they had the apartment.  Turns out, he's never been to Winco.  Hopefully, he'll go.  If not, we'll have the card available for groceries when we get home.

I had a couple good interactions with our new sup which helped ease my worry considerably.  Something happened in my department that I thought he should have a heads up about - and the conversation and subsequent emails about the status of the situation assured me that things will probably go better than I thought...so that helped a lot.  I was so glad he responded back so quickly - 'cuz it was the type of issue that I would have stewed about for the two weeks I am supposed to be doing everything humanly possible to NOT think about work.  Isn't actually possible - but I will disconnect as much as I can.

Time to get going on more stuff around here....I haven't gotten to my crazy 'cleaning the baseboards' or 'dusting the Cow Parade collection in the dining room' which are the two most likely things I do when there are trillions of other things I should be doing.  Darn baseboards.  Darn cows.

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...