Sunday, January 21, 2007

New Year

The new job is progressing. It is not my old job, which I find myself reminding me of several times each day. I miss the 'old' job - but I think it's the people I miss, more than the job. The new job is good and the people are nice - but I don't think it will measure up to the old job in terms of building relationships.

I LOVE being home 3 minutes after I leave the office and LOVE getting TO my office 3 minutes after leaving home. It has required an 'adjustment' to my morning routine - my hair won't dry on the way to work anymore so it has to dry before. I still get up at about the same time, since doing my makeup before I leave the house is now also required. It's an adjustment. Thankfully, once I get to my office, the day flies by. I'm pretty busy and that's good. Don't like days dragging as sometimes happen when you're 'new'.

The kids are loving having me 'home' more - and so are the dogs. I've even managed to come home for lunch a couple days, which is mega-nice. The ability to run a load of dishes or laundry and do a few household chores mid-day is a HUGE treat. LOVE IT.

And I also love that we've filled up the van twice in the past 3 weeks - and we only had to do that because J. took the boys snowboarding and I drove to our county office of education a couple times (reimbursable). A tank of gas lasts a LONG time now and that is very cool.

B. will turn 16 this week - which I can't believe. We'll do the traditional IHOP dinner (seriously, it's the place they always pick for their birthdays). We have a few gifts and a big reminder that he already got his MAIN b-day gift - new snowboard pants and jacket. BIG present that he couldn't wait for. It will be a fun day and he's excited to be officially 16. He turns 16 first in his group of friends. He was planning to have a paintball party - but his friend C. broke his pelvis in two places last weekend (snowboarding with B., I might add. Thankfully, he was able to get down the hill and home without an ambulance or airlift - but a visit to his Dr. the next day confirmed two fractures. Not good, since C. is an athlete extraordinaire - his competitive soccer and baseball season are over...and snowboarding is DONE for the forseeable future). So since C. can't paintball, B. is just planning a movie/dinner/sleepover for him and a few friends. We'll plan that for a couple weeks from now.

Winter is strange this year - no rain or moisture in the air...just INCREDIBLY cold. Several plants have frozen out back and are looking bad. We pruned today and hope they 'come back' in the Spring. The Livermore and Tri-Valley hills have been dusted with snow, which I only know by reading the paper now, since I don't drive out that way much. It's crystal clear and very cold. B. went to Dodge Ridge on the snow bus yesterday and said there is very little snow - sad for the resorts who are struggling to make it this season.

We rang in the New Year at a party and had SO MUCH FUN. We don't get out much, so the party was a huge treat for us. The kids were invited too - and we all had a ball. We played darts, pool, basketball, Jenga and ping-pong on teams. It was a blast - good food, good friends and plenty of champagne. It's the first time in a LONG TIME I was actually awake for the midnight kiss and J. was so happy about that. We are hoping this party will become a tradition 'cuz it was a lot of fun.

Hope your New Year is joyful and blessed!

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...