Saturday, December 04, 2021

Officially Boosted

J. helped me navigate our medical group's website and I successfully booked a COVID booster shot.  Had it yesterday at 10AM.  I declared today a pajama day 'cuz I just don't feel like getting dressed.  I feel minorly 'punky' - a bit achy and like I'd rather be sleeping.  I did have a lousy night's sleep so that's part of the sleepy part...but I'm determined to power through so hopefully tonight will be better sleep. 

I suggested to J. that I'd like to stop watching crazy loud, violent shows right before bed.  Not sure it had any impact on my sleep but also not sure it didn't.  We're watching Invasion and it's intense.  Very.  

We've noticed a huge number of small weeds in both yards - though mostly in the front because it gets more sun than the back.  We had the company we use for exterminator services give us a quote for weed prevention and abatement - $250 a year which feels like a bargain.  (Our lot is 11K square feet and the treatable surface (as measured by the technician via Google maps) is 7700.  I thought the price was pretty reasonable for the space.  

They will get us on the schedule ASAP and will do their best to plan to do the granular pre-emergent before a rain storm so it will be watered in by nature.  If not, we'll water it in within 7 days of application.  

Why pre-emergent when we already have tons of weeds?  We'd been pondering what happened because we didn't have weeds last year - but the technician explained that November temps were consistently at 60 degrees or higher - and the unexpected warmth is why weeds that usually don't grow are going crazy right now.  These weeds are small and impossible to remove by the roots.  (We've tried).  You end up pulling off the visible part - in two to three attempts per plant - and the roots stay put.  If it were 10-50 weeds, we'd do it ourselves.  But it's hundreds....and we can't do that.  

They will return in Spring to apply emergent spray which will kill anything that comes up when the earth reheats in the Spring.  

It's crazy that it's early December and we've had only one snow storm - in late October.  Nothing in November.  I'm ready for snow!  

But not until we get Christmas decorations done.  We managed to get all the decor items down from the overhead storage in the garage - and have decided that from now on, we will store those items on the floor.  We did it - but it seemed unwise on more than one occasion so I think we should make sure 'falling off a ladder' is eliminated from the list of things that could go wrong. 

I'm binge watching 'School of Chocolate' on Netflix since I've finished watching Great British Baking show including the just released holiday shows.

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...