Friday, August 07, 2020

Blueberries

J. purchased fresh blueberries at Costco as something different from my usual request for fresh strawberries.  I was looking for a fruit that could be easily cleaned and not require a lot of 'prep' to include in my morning fat free Greek yogurt.  I (now) swear by a brief soaking in water with some vinegar added combined with a thorough drying via towels (paper or other) - it works.  Berries stay fresh for a long time once soaked and I can make them last a LONG time - when I'm eating cereal or avocado toast for breakfast vs. fruit & yogurt, the vinegar rinse helps avoid wasting fruit. 

As almost always, once I had 'different' fruit available, I didn't want/have yogurt & fruit for breakfast so I had an abundance of blueberries that I didn't want to waste.  AND (somewhat miraculously though it probably is more related to 'big brother' figuring out my internet queries), I got a King Arthur Baking Company recipe for Blueberry Muffins in my Facebook feed.  Coincidence?  No way. 

I made the muffins to use up a ton of berries in one 'cook' - and they are FABULOUS.  The batter was very thick (when compared to a store bought mix version of blueberry muffins) so I was a wee bit concerned.  But they are super delicious and that recipe will now be on the recipe list for when the kids visit.  Seriously - muffins made with fresh blueberries vs. the canned in most mixes is just uber delicious!  I had a bit of batter left over and I tried to turn it into pancakes - huge fail.  I tried to eat the result of my effort but it was awful.  The texture was just wrong.  Maybe should have added additional milk (more than I had added already) to think it out more.  The pancakes were gross.  The muffins get a 10 of 10.

When we were at Atlantis on Wednesday, I ran into my friend D. .  He is usually there evenings so I was surprised to see him around lunch time - we chatted briefly and he moved to new machines.  He was sort of quiet but...slot play is serious business to us both so I figured he was in the zone.  

He texted me late yesterday to apologize for being 'so quiet'.  He lost a friend to COVID on Friday and was having a hard time.  I texted condolences and mentioned we were going to be there on Saturday and he suggested we try to meet for drinks and appetizers.  So we're meeting at 5PM tomorrow - a foursome at Napa Bistro for drinks and 'small plates'.  Appetizers are 1/2 off until 6 - J. and I will call it dinner! We're going to head to Reno around 3PM to give ourselves time to use our free play - then dinner and home.  I will be the designated driver so J. can enjoy a libation or two if he'd like to.  

We had spaghetti for dinner and I was so hungry I could hardly wait to eat.  It was DELICIOUS!  And a nice bottle of Cabernet, too.  

We talked to B. today - first time he's called me in ages.  He's doing OK.  No new symptoms to report.  He doesn't feel horrible - and they aren't testing him since his symptoms are so mild.  We'll never really know for sure if he had it or not, but it's likely he does.  Many guys in his squad/battalion are quarantined.  
 
I'm working steadily on organizing the office.  We have way less 'storage' in this office vs. our Tracy house so it's a work in process.  Today, I went through boxes of pictures and culled out a ton.  When the kids were younger and we were getting film developed, I apparently always got two sets of prints - so I let duplicates go.  I also let go of a bunch of wallet size prints - I'd take pics and get wallets made at a local film developer - I kept one of each and got rid of all the duplicates.  That consolidated two boxes of pictures down to one so that was a win!  Then I went on a Container Store online shopping spree and got some canvas boxes with lids to use for storage in the closet.  We have so many notebooks, packages of paper.  I'd normally donate them to an after school program but....those aren't happening right now so I'm hanging onto things and can always donate in the future. We've also just recycled a lot of stuff - partially used pads of paper are in recycling - we have tons of notebooks and other paper so I'm not saving 1/2 pads.  I should.  The frugal side of me wants to.  But the 60 year old thinks 'we will never use all this so better to let it go now'.  

Speaking of my 60 year self - I don't remember how it came up but I mentioned I was 60 when I was getting a haircut yesterday - and my stylist was shocked!  She said 'no way!  You can't be.  I would have never thought that!'.  I said 'you just made my day!!'.  She said 'you have such a young attitude and so does your husband'.  I said 'I don't think he looks 70' and she exclaimed 'NO WAY - he can't be 70!'.  Woot woot.  I owe it all to moisturizer, hydration and getting plenty of sleep in retirement!!  
 
Looking forward to a fun, productive weekend! And catching up with my friend C. tomorrow via Facetime or phone. 


No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...