Tuesday, July 09, 2019

Feeling Great!

I've gone back to basically the sleep schedule I had when I was working - upstairs 8ish and lights out 9ish.  I wake up once to go to the restroom and then back to sleep and wake up pretty close to 5 or just a smidge after.  And I've been getting up because going back to sleep is nice...but then I wake up feeling groggy and 'off' all day and I don't like that feeling.  The early mornings are beautiful and quiet and it's nice to start the day off slowly. 

And being retired (!!!), if I feel tired during the day, I can take a nap.  I haven't been - because I sleep a lot better at night with no naps - but I can if I need to.  It's great. 

Also great is no rumination.  There's lots to think about but I can do that thinking during the day.  I'm doing much better on that at night and it's starting to feel like it - more energy, more focused.  It's great.

I started watching a vlog series 'Sailing La Vagabonde' on You Tube.  It's like reality TV only it's REAL LIFE.  Fascinating.  And one of the things that it's helping me regroup around is routine. 

J. has done a fantastic job of adapting to retirement because from the start, he developed a routine.  He sticks to it pretty much and he keeps lists of things to do daily.  The LaVagabonde couple do the same and because their home is a catamaran, they have a lot of daily things to do to keep the boat ship-shape.  It's really made me think about how to organize my day and to do things that need doing - keep track of things so it's not so overwhelming because you know what's needed and you know what you've done (or not done).  I know these are all simple concepts to most folks, but I struggle with that a lot - things that feel overwhelming to me are things that I just can't get the oomph to tackle - but I'm doing better.  Trying to chunk things up more into small steps. 

I think clearing the house of a MASSIVE amount of 'stuff' really helped as well.  I feel like I can 'see' more of what still needs to be done and while that list is MASSIVE, it's OK.  We will chunk it up and get to it.  Painters arrive a week from today and today, I realized that we are going to have to just spend the money to get the kids bathtub replaced - there's no other option. 

J. and I head up to Reno again on the 22nd and I also have reservations to head up on Friday - I have to decide about this weekend by midnight tomorrow and so far, I'm leaning towards skipping it.  It's the Annual Chalk Festival which is always a lot of fun but it's also very crowded and hot - walking around a black top parking lot is scorching.  The artists and their creations are shaded via large tents but spectators just meander.  There are vendors and food and music and that event last year is when J. found the golf course home development we are now building on - so it has great memories attached.  But we will enjoy (very much) the visit on the 22nd and the weekday visits are always great - we can schedule some house stuff (lighting hopefully so we can order the fans), etc. . 

Turns out the concierge room they all enjoyed last night was a TWO BEDROOM SUITE.  HUGE - with a full dining room, bar area....crazy.  I've NEVER stayed in those suites before - prior 'suites' have been just an 'indoor' bar area with fridge - but the upgrade is MAMMOTH and I can't wait for my turn in two weeks - with J. . 

I'm pondering that it must have been the hand pay that provided the upgrade availability - but not sure.  I'm going to check with my host because seriously - it's a really nice thing and I want to do whatever I did again to get Concierge Tower as often as possible!! 

J. just texted they are already in Auburn so I need to leave soon to trek to the Stockton Airport (which is where the Enterprise rental is located) to pick all of them up - then back home, Rich will head home to Livermore and the troops will be home.  We need to move a lot of stuff from the living room to the garage and schedule a Salvation Army truck pickup - but we can do that later this week or even this weekend.  We're giving away a lot of stuff and that also feels great! 

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...