Sunday, December 31, 2017

Farewell, 2017

Last day of the month, last day of the year.

What a year it's been.

I think I'm not writing as much these days because things feel complex - and hard to put into words.  And words, once on the page and out there, are not able to be undone.

I could write a book (maybe a couple) about things with H. and R. - but I don't and won't.  It's complex.  We've done as much as we can to help and are in the process of doing more - but no matter what we do, the silence and lack of responsiveness continues to baffle us.  It's rude.  It's inexplicable.  It's baffling and sad and hard.

J.and I trekked to Modesto Toyota on Wednesday and bought me a Rav4 Hybrid AWD!  It's awesome!  Love it - drove it to Jackson on Thursday and it's got a lot of get up and go!!  It's loaded with all the features and drives like a dream.

The plan is to sell the Mariner to R. - but so far, though H. says she plans to - she's done nothing to make it happen.  Her CRV is falling apart - it's in the shop practically every week and she's paying for a rental more often than not to ensure she has a way to get the kids to/from Tracy for school.  Their budget is super tight and they can't keep paying out a ton of money to rent another car. 

It's possible she's making arrangements to sell her china hutch (in our garage) and use that for a good down on the Mariner but so far, we really don't have a lot of info or confirmation.  Just like the Focus (which we finally sold for way less than we paid for it not that long ago - the accident that wasn't quite enough to get it totaled really limited the number of people interested, even though it had been repaired by a certified repair shop), the Mariner will be kept here for another month or so and then?  If it's not purchased by her, we will sell it.  We're not going to hang on to a 3rd car forever.

On a super happy note, H. got a job at a warehouse in Manteca - within walking (or skateboarding or biking) distance of their apartment.  He's working ten hours days and is 'sore' - but it's work he likes and is good at.  He's pulling orders using all kinds of equipment - cherry picker lifts, forklifts, other warehouse equipment.  At the orientation, he was the only one there who knew how to drive every single type of equipment they use and they called him in that weekend to get certified by their company trainer on all the equipment!  He's worked two full days so far and should be back to a 40 hour a week schedule next week.  It's decent money and he's stoked. 

I was supposed to work Th & Fri of this coming week - but thanks to the IRS changing the ACA reporting deadlines, I don't have to!!  I am super, duper excited about being off another full week.  J. has (bless that man) let me sleep in every single day and getting up at 8:30 has been awesome!

J. made a last trip to a hospice thrift shop in Stockton to donate the last of our 2017 stuff.  The recycle bin is full to the brim and the trash can is approaching that point, too - for the 2nd week in a row.  We're tossing and donating and continuing to pare down what we have to only what we need.  It's a long process but we're getting there.

We're counting down to our cruise and Disneyworld trip in March - and have decided to postpone the Panama Canal cruise we have scheduled for October.  It's a pretty expensive trip - too long of a trip to use a cruise coupon discount - and it requires me saving every single hour of vacation for that trip.  No available days off for seven months sounds like prison - and I just can't do it.  I thought I could but it's been really hard to think 'I need a day off' and realize I can't take one or I won't have enough time for both cruises.  Nice problem to have, I know.  But...it will help to postpone that big trip for March, 2019 - so that is our current plan.  We'll also definitely be spending a week in Reno this summer as soon as the annual budget torture is over at work.

Work.  It's work lately.  Work to hold it all together.  Work to go and keep going.  Work to try to figure out options when the state is crippling schools.  New money?  None.  Every spare penny is going to pay the increasing obligations for retirement plans for all staff and I'm irritated about that because it's the state's fault we're in this mess.  Long ago, when the plans were doing really well, the state stopped having district's contribute - and now the obligation is larger than the revenue needed to fund them - so all the 'new' money that's come in post 'The Great Recession' is going towards increases in employee benefits.  It's a mess - and it's hard to be eleven years in a job where it's been one stress-filled thing after another.

It will all work out but I'm even thinking of starting to send applications to jobs in Reno just to see.

I'm hoping 2018 will bring some good changes.  I've had lots of time to contemplate things over the break and the overwhelming theme is confirming over and over how blessed I/we are.  Even with the H. & R. drama, we are still very blessed and quite content.

But I'm ready for 'what's next' in our life.  I'm ready to make a home somewhere else and start fresh as retirees.  Even if one of us (me) will have to work a bit longer.  I'm ready to work.  But I'm ready for a change.

We'll see.

Happy 2018 to all and have a safe and sane New Year celebration!

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...