Sunday, March 05, 2017

Snow Flexibility

J. and I are in Reno - arrived Friday.  We flew - normally extravagant but we had a credit on Southwest that expires on the 8th and we're frugal.  Well.....we're sort of frugal.   As I count my cash for slots later today and remind myself how blessed we are to be able to blow cash if we like.  We just didn't want to waste that credit so...Reno was a quick weekend get away.

We had rented a car for the day and planned to spend today house hunting - but there's quite a bit of snow on the ground and it's not looking like it's going to clear.  We've seen a little sun but it's back to cloudy and grey so...we're staying in.  Kudos and thanks to Budget Rental for automatically cancelling our reservation and not charging us - we prepaid for the rental to get a cheaper rate - but they realize having people who rarely drive in snow borrow cars to do just that is probably not safe. So no rental car charge!  More gambling $!  Yay!

We might be brave enough to take Uber or a cab downtown later today though neither of us have snow clothes with us.  We'll see.  For now, we're enjoying a slow, lazy morning - getting showered and ready to go down and enjoy a nice brunch.

We thought about trying to head home today instead but odds are flights are sold out and/or who wants to sit in a plane waiting for a clear runway as I did at the end of January?  And then I hit a nice win at the end of the evening yesterday so that gave me back some play money for today - so I'm fine with hanging out.  We thought about watching Pay Per View movies - Manchester by the Sea - but at $17.99?  We just can't do it.  It will be on our cable TV soon enough.

H. is home alone and is our house sitter and dog keeper.  So far, he says everything's going well - he's managing Chloe's shots no problem and they spend a fair amount of time on the couch together sleeping a lot.

I return to work on Tuesday and it's a board prep week so it will be busy.  I am gearing myself up for long days 'cuz I've shorted myself a day and that time will likely be made up by early arrivals and late departures this week.  Have dinner with a friend this week and can't wait for that!

J. says 'this is what it will look like here often in the winter - and before the streets are cleared, we're not going to want to go anywhere'.  I think it sounds like heaven - especially assuming I won't be working so won't have many days where I 'have to' be somewhere in particular.  I can't wait to live here - I feel that way every time I visit - I can't wait to call this town home.

My turn for the shower.  OH - a huge thank you to my husband who bought a 'device' designed to keep guys from snoring - I was skeptical 'cuz if it worked, wouldn't everyone already know about it. But it was $99 and worth a try, he said.  IT WORKS!  First time in 29 years together that we've shared a hotel room and I haven't resorted to waking him up to get him to stop snoring.  I slept 11 hours last night!!  In a hotel room!  With my husband!!  It's a miracle!!

I cleaned out the pocket of my rolling back pack and found a note pad from our hotel in Paris two years ago and I want to go back so badly....time to start shopping for airfares and maybe we take a trip in late September?  We'll see.

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...