Sunday, August 07, 2016

Darn It!

I spent yesterday nursing a very painful back issue - whiny, pissy and by the end of the day, convinced I had something horrible.  In so much pain, I just felt nauseous most of the day.  I went to bed with trepidation and not much hope - but managed to rearrange my pillows and slept semi-OK, especially compared to Friday night which was not great sleep all night.

I woke this morning and gave a few minutes thought to heading to Thunder Valley - the Thunderstrike jackpot was > $120,000 and I should have gone - but I decided 'I'll wait and see where it ends up this week'.

And of course, someone won it around noon today - and I think 'damn, that could have been me'.  Oh well.  It will be available the next time I venture up there and I'll have some time to continue to build back up our fun money account.

J. and H. drove to Fairfield today to get a new car for H. - a 2012 Ford Focus - 56K miles, one owner, no accidents.  It's got a slight 'bif' on the front fender but they will come pick up the car and give H. a loaner while they have that fixed in the next week or so.  The car is in excellent condition and H. likes it - and combined with the $1,000 deductible he had to pitch in from his savings, we were only short $652 above insurance - so not bad considering.

I did have a moment earlier this week when I realized that I will be driving the oldest car (mine is a 2009) and even though it's low mileage (just turned to 80K), it still irritates me that I'm driving the oldest car.  We considered using the insurance money to make a down payment on a new car for me but I really don't want two car payments...so we'll wait until we pay off J.'s Camry.  It sticks in my craw a bit but oh well.  It is what it is.

I spent the day doing little piddly things - finally ran the silverware tray through the dishwasher and cleaned out the silverware drawer.  Also soaked and washed my hairbrushes and combs.  Kept Chloe calm while the neighbors had an outdoor BBQ - she barks like a maniac whilst outside doing her business.

Tomorrow is the annual Welcome Back Breakfast and Tuesday is the first student day of the 2016-17 school year.  A friend at work got all testy last week - 'why are people pre-dating things August? Look at this, they dated it August 4th!' and another co-worker replied 'that was yesterday'. Yikes - August did get here really fast.

I'm entering year-end madness which never trails budget madness by too much.  It's going to be an incredibly busy fall and I'm trying to psych up for it.  Not doing great at that (yet) but trying.

J.'s favorite golf course announced they are closing - they can't afford the water to keep the course playable.  It's so, so sad - he hasn't been playing there long but really loves it and it's sad to see a business failing.  Personally, I think it was more than just the water - they've been offering rounds for $18 and that's a clear sign they are trying to drum up business.  J. said 'I'd buy a membership if it would help them stay open'.  Maybe someone will purchase the course to keep it going - hope so 'cuz it's a really nice course and not to far away - as golf courses go.

Gilmore Girls marathon and J. has been uber patient - it's either Law & Order or GG and the L&O's are starting to be episodes I've seen a gazillion times.  Even I say 'no, not again' to L&O lately and that's a sure sign they are overdoing the reruns of the same episodes.  So GG is a nice change AND it's a fun prep for the new episodes coming up in November!  So excited about the show getting to tell 'the rest of the story' that fans never got when the show ended so abruptly.

Happy Monday to all -

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...