Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Rushing

Arising a full 45 minutes ahead of my alarm leads to me spending way too much time perusing the webosphere and before I know it, I feel 'late' and 'rushed'.  Heading directly to the county office for a meeting would usually give me at least an 'extra' 15 minutes at home vs. going in briefly and then leaving for my meeting.

Routine.  I need to stick to a consistent routine.  I've been thinking about routines a lot lately 'cuz if I could get in one and stick to it, I could wedge in exercise and/or a ton of other stuff that I'd really rather not be doing but think I would/could/should 'if only I had a better routine'.

Right now, my routine is just racing through day after day hoping it's all going to turn out OK.  Usual budget cycle thoughts.  My job is a wonderland of things to fret about and the routines that are automatic now after 8+ years are still incredibly stress-filled.  

Awakening with a majorly sore throat is not in my plans and I sure hope it's just allergy drip.  I'm convinced my bedroom is a dust-filled abyss 'cuz I usually wake up feeling awful.  I have 'vacuum thoroughly' on my list of weekend things to do - but now weekends are filling up with work and who knows when I'll get to it?  Yes, the house cleaning people vacuum but they don't do baseboards or under the bed...or dust things like the fan vents that are probably filled with the winter's dust.  

The thermostat downstairs totally went kaput, leading to discussions about 'wireless' this and that. Our new alarm system also had a 'feature' of thermostats that could be connected to the system thus allowing us to set/reset remotely - but the service adds monthly ongoing expense and we didn't want to do that.  Begrudgingly ('cuz we're trying hard NOT to spend money these days), we bought two Nests - and replaced both thermostats.  I have to admit that so far, I love waving my hand in front of it and having it light up - and resetting is just a quick twist of the dial.  Will make it very easy to readjust in the middle of the night after the 21 year old living here has lowered it to a brisk low 70's number when it would usually be around 80.  Sometimes 78 when it's really hot and we're just falling asleep.  The Nest supposedly learns our habits and self-adjusts - so I will report back if I find that actually happening.

I arrived home from work to the smell of bleach which can only mean one thing:  H. needs additional money for something.  He's been doing the tile grout and floors on his hands and knees for months and I have to admit, they look amazing.  The only problem is:  they look amazing a section of squares at a time and the full floor is never all done at once.  Sort of like painting a bridge - I get the concept that they won't look pristine forever but if he's committing to a job and wants to be paid, I think he should do the full job over a day or two and call it done.  I have issued that edict and we'll see how it goes.  (The floors really do look great and he does a really good job - I hope I can hire him when we're ready to sell 'cuz spotless tile grout is a good selling point).  

It's been a long week already (and only two days are officially over).  I wish I could share more but I won't.  Suffice it to say that people are often challenging and the things they do boggle the mind.  We are getting through things a day at a time and sometimes it's an hour at a time.  Long days feel like eternity at times - while also feeling like they are so 'full', they pass quickly - it's a paradox.  I know.  

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...