Thursday, May 26, 2011

Correction

J. emailed me yesterday to correct that the person with the MamaG nickname isn't H.'s friend, it's one of his friends' mother.....still neat to have another mom around with that name that means so much to us. My mom was MamaG to her grand kids from day 1 40+-some-odd years ago and it should live on. Hmmm...maybe I'll figure out a variation of that for my grand kids someday. No hurry, though...

Party was a great success. H.'s friends kept the secret and when he walked in the restaurant he was surprised appropriately. It was a quiet dinner - with J. and I attempting lively, witty conversation and quiet, polite kids eating and making limited attempts at conversation. I'm sure they were glad to go on their merry way and 'chill' after dinner. But it was nice.

Still no update on grad status. Though we were told grades were due yesterday, there are some teachers still giving finals....so it may be a long wait today. J. will be checking the online grading throughout the day.....so we'll see. Cautiously optimistic is the flavor of the day....

Today is a glorious meeting-free day and like yesterday (two quick meetings in that day), I hope to plow through a lot of budget stuff. Can make steady progress when I have the chance to just sit and work. Tomorrow also promises to be a quiet day - though we have our annual retirement luncheon so that will be a forced mid-day break of some duration. Not too many retirees this year so it should go quickly - I hope. For more reasons than just that I'm busy....the person who left abruptly at the start of the new year will be returning for the celebration and there's a fair amount of 'concern' about how that will go. I'm sure professionalism and common courtesy will rule the day.

Have actually been conversing with son #1 the past couple days (I shouldn't say that like it's a rare thing but it is a rare thing - rarely see him and when I do see him, he's usually irritating the heck out of me....so a conversation that was pleasant and entertaining is a welcome change) - he was up very early with me yesterday because he hadn't slept all night. He thinks he's having 'sleep issues'. I think he drinks too much caffeine after 5PM, works out and watches movies that get him all ramped up between 9PM and midnight and then wonders why he can't shut down and relax. So yesterday, he stayed awake ALL DAY - a quick 20 minute cat nap before the party - and appears to have slept some - which is good. Hope he sticks to it. Sometimes listening to the sage advice of your parents is the right thing to do.

It's May 26th and the heater just came on - it's below 50 degrees outside. Our PGE bill is loving it!! but it's cold and cloudy and rain looks possible. Strange weather these days -

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...