Sunday, June 11, 2006

About

Things I won't forget about Hawaii:

I have never seen such blue ocean water. NEVER. It is amazing. We sailed for a couple of hours yesterday and the water was the most amazing shade of deep, deep blue. I've never seen anything like it - and I grew up spending a lot of time on the water in Mexico. The water there was all shades of green. Even out sailing, there wasn't much truly blue water around. But Hawaii is all blue, all the time. It's amazing.

Sunburn. I have one. Stupid, I know. We were snorkeling yesterday and in spite of carefully applying sun screen all day, I AM FRIED. So sore I can barely move. It will most definitely blister and peel - so that's surely something to look forward to next week.

Beach hair. Since my hair's always been short until the last couple years, this 'long hair blowing in the wind' thing is all new. And I'm sort of enjoying the 'beach hair' thing. It looks fantastic with salt water in it from swimming. I can get away with washing it every few days and NEVER have to 'style' it since wind blown and wavy suits it just fine. It's pretty cool...by 'short hair' standards, it looks terrible - but everyone here walks around with tousled, unkept hair - so I fit right in.

And everyone here wears beach clothes all the time. Since we've been here, I've worn the same basic outfit - swim suit and a 'shift like' coverup. Period. Brought a zillion other outfits that I haven't needed and probably won't. Will probably 'dress up' a bit (i.e. put on shorts and a top) if we go to a lua later this week - but for the most part, I could have left most of the clothes I brought at home and just used a carry on for luggage. Have to remember that for next time.

More to come -

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...