Saturday, August 07, 2021

Behold the Power of the Internet

J. and I wandered out to the back yard a couple days ago - and there was poop on the concrete walkway right near my bedroom windows.  I pondered what critter could have left it.  J. casually mentioned he'd seen them before - most often on the walkway but also sometimes out by the Adirondack chairs in the corner of the yard.  

I Googled a description of the poop - and behold, there is a database of poop pictures!  My search had me thinking a hedgehog.  But no evidence we have those here in Nevada so....I still was unsure.  A little bit later, J. showed me a pic he found - spot on!  It's a toad!  S/he is living the good life somewhere in our backyard and on night patrol for bugs, relieves itself on the walk way.  We had poop again today as we've had every day for a week.  Can't complain about it, really - J. takes care of it right away.  I just wish we could see it!  J. thinks it's triggering the motion-sensitive floodlights on that corner of the house in the night and eats all the bugs revealed.  He even tested triggering the light last night when I was in my room 'cuz he was sure it would wake me up - but it is a very soft light and my shutters are pretty well shut tight nightly so if it is triggering the flood lights, I'm not noticing. 

We have an assortment of lizards including some baby sized specimens.  They clearly love hiding out on the rocks surrounding all the plants - 

Our yard is becoming just what we wanted it to be - a haven for all sorts of creatures.  


No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...