Tuesday, November 05, 2019

We Made It

Fairly soon after the movers left yesterday, we started finding things they hadn't taken.  Two pretty large pictures on the study wall - along with a lamp.  Other pics we'd put in a flat box that got mixed in with the empty boxes in the garage so we didn't see it. 

We headed to the Holiday Inn Express around 7:15 last night and I was sound asleep by 8.  We both woke up early and headed to the house around 5AM and proceeded to continue the last minute mad-dash loading of the cars.  Still MORE stuff we hadn't packed.  (They kept asking if there was anything else but we were just so 'done' I guess we didn't realize that there were a lot of things we hadn't previously packed).  The movers were good - we just ran out of oomph. 

We got most everything in - I'm pretty sure we left some towels in the dryer but oh well.  We also had some things in both fridges that we couldn't take with us.  Hopefully, the cleaning crew can use them.  They were there before we left and I suggested they should take anything they saw that they might use. 

We headed out of town a bit after 9 - I went to get the cats 'cuz J. had to go back to get a small suitcase I'd used to pack towels in the kitchen - it was still there by the table. 

I survived 4 hours in the car with the cats.  90 minutes in, they sort of settled into their carriers.  Seemed like they realized crying wasn't helping - so they (FINALLY) chilled.  Good thing the vet gave them a sedative - right?  Not that I noticed one little bit.  They howled the first 90 minutes and I was really worried about how I would make it - thinking I would ask J. to change cars for the 2nd half of the drive - but we got into a groove.  They'd peak up through the top of the carrier (mesh) to look for me and I'd reply 'I'm here'.  I realized they seemed comforted by the sound of my voice - so I sang them a song I wrote for them - nonsense lyrics about 'I know you are upset and worried you don't like to be in the car.  But we have to get to our new State and it's really not that far'.  There were other verses but... I can't remember them.  When my lyrics ran out, I started talking about anything I could think of - forest management, lakes and dams, twisty roads and the importance of passing lanes and turnouts.  As long as I talked, they chilled.  Music also helped - covered up some of the road noises. 

The kitty spa is nothing special - if we hadn't just driven 4 hours to get there and if I'd had any idea where else we could go, I would have taken them somewhere else - but they will be OK.  Nala got right out of her carrier and headed straight for her litter box.  Muf took a little longer but they were both working on getting settled.  The check-in person said 'they are doing well - not freaking out too much'.  So I guess that's good. 

Good news!  The movers (who originally told us they wouldn't deliver our stuff until Saturday) called to say they can get here Thursday - so yay!  In theory, we could sleep in our own beds on Thursday night.  (I'll have to figure out when to tell the hotel we won't be here as many nights as we'd planned).  We're going to wait on that because H. is arriving in Reno on Thursday - he is attending an NA conference in Reno with some rehab friends so it might be good to have a room available for him/us while he's hanging out in Reno.  We'll figure it out. 

Tomorrow, our Internet service  will be set up (fingers and toes crossed) and the plumber is coming to check on issues we're having with the downstairs toilet in the town home.  Thursday will be movers and Friday we will have a refrigerator delivered.  After that, we'll be able to get settled in.

First full day of residency is ahead and I'm ready for sleep.  When we got to Hwy 395 and were coming in to Gardnerville, it was so stunningly beautiful, it made my teary.  There is so much beauty and color here - lots of blues, oranges, grays, greens....just beautiful. 


No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...