Saturday, October 21, 2017

Trip Update Long Overdue

Plans to post daily haven't worked out - the day is full of visiting and walking and eating and immersing ourselves in all things British...and I am typing this from our hotel room in Paris.  The Eurostar safely delivered us here a few hours ago and Paris feels so much like home.  It's all familiar and wonderful and makes my heart full.  How blessed we are to be able to enjoy trips like this. 

The Eurostar is super fast and incredibly smooth and quiet - it is the reason J. thinks high speed rail needs to come to America.  It is a very civilized way to get from place to place and considering it travels in the mid-200 km. per hour, it's amazing - you hardly notice that you are on a train - it's like you're floating on air vs. any feeling of tracks.  Love it. 

Upon arrival at our hotel in Paris (where we've stayed before), it appeared that I had booked a double bed - that is the room they took us to.  Not that we can't share a bed but that would result in very little sleep, likely for both of us.  A queen for the two of us is not a great idea - I use so many pillows to keep myself comfy, it would be ridiculous.  They said that at that point, our only hope was to wait and see if someone who had booked a twin cancelled.  I showed them that our confirmation said 'Twin Deluxe' - but apparently, the 'bedding' chosen was a double?  Even the picture showed two twins.  We excused ourselves to the salon (the living room next to the check in desk) and I promptly got on my phone, went to the hotel website and found one twin available tonight - 'last room left'.  I walked to the check-in and said 'I'm on your website and you have a twin available' and she said 'yes, madame, we are preparing that room now'.  I think we were in a deluxe room - larger and more expensive?  And the room they had available is a 'standard' room - still comfy and $180 Euros less per night.  And we're fine with that - saved some money and this room is fine.  Beds are close together but they are two beds and that's what we need.

J. has a horrible cold.  He sounds like Johnny Cash and I'm staying the heck away from him and his germs because I don't want to get it.  Flying home as stuffy as he is would not be fun. 

He is trekking out to get our Paris Passes and to hopefully find us a bit of a snack.  We had breakfast at the hotel and breakfast on the train but we're still starving again.  Exercise requires fuel.  He's also hopefully getting himself some Mucinex because though I packed practically every medication known to man, I did not pack that - and as usual, his cold is now in his chest and he needs something to help break up the congestion, big time. 

We aren't sure of our itinerary for our days here - we have to work that out over dinner this evening.  My only request is that tomorrow, no alarm clock.  None.  I want to sleep until I'm ready to wake up on my own - 'cuz we've been setting an alarm most days and I am in need of more sleep.  I have circles under my eyes which I've never seen before and I don't like that one bit.

London was lovely.  Day 1, we really packed in too much - went to Kensington Palace in the morning and the Kew Royal Botanical Gardens in the afternoon.  Sooooo much walking - we were both sore and exhausted.  I was able to see the Diana exhibit at the palace with so many of her outfits and gowns on display - I will post pics here as soon as I have time to get them off my phone and onto the computer. 

The Kew gardens were spectacular - and the Hive (which is an exhibit announced shortly after we were in London in 2014 and something I definitely wanted to see) did not disappoint.  There are lights inside and they respond to the bees in the garden hives - so you get a sense of how they communicate in the hive.  It was really cool and hard to describe and the pics don't do it justice.  Stay tuned for those as well. 

I have managed to do a couple posts on Facebook.  We visited Westminster Abbey and had tea in their restaurant - lovely and fun.  We also visited Buckingham Palace (the queen was home!) and the Royal Mews (stables) - which also houses all the carriages and cars used by the royals.  It was fascinating and really amazing and I was surprised how few people were attending.  Definitely worth the stop.

We got word from Chloe's caregiver that she's sick - went to the vet the first day we were in Europe.  Hopefully a bad bladder/kidney infection - they have her on antibiotics and so far, they are helping.  They did blood work and cultured her urine to be sure they get the right antibiotic.  I'm super glad she's staying where she's staying because if she'd been at our previous kennel, I'm honestly not sure her symptoms would have been noticed as quickly.  The ladies caring for her are both vet techs so they know when a dog isn't up to snuff.  We're keeping in touch and hopefully, she's on the mend.  (And I have no idea how much that vet bill will be but it is what it is).  J. says 'we'll cash in something if we need to so don't fret about it'.  I love that man.

We have four full days here starting tomorrow and we're going to make the most of them.  Musee D'Orsay, Louvre, Mormatten and other stops are on the list along with a bunch of restaurants and patisseries.  We're going to walk as much as we can but we're also going to use cabs if/when needed - oh - and the metro.  We got super good at using the underground in London and can do the same here, too.  Though London is super easy given English vs. French - Paris metro is doable but not quite as 'comfortable'.  But we're not going to wear ourselves out on Day 1 like we did in London - it's taken days to recover from the beating we gave our bodies that day.

I'm going to turn on the TV - we really enjoyed watching BBC in London so hopefully there's some channels in English here.  Just passing time waiting for my love to return from his errands.  He's super. 

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...