Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Memories

Work is approaching the 'crazy busy' point after weeks of being in 'pending/waiting' mode for our district to finish what they needed to do so we can do what we need to do. Now, we'll spend the next two weeks rushing like crazy trying to tie up everything to officially close the year. It will be crazy.

I left work on time this evening to get to Danville for my cut & color appointment. The color was needed, as it always is - but apparently more so since H. asked at dinner Saturday night 'Mom, why is your hair two different colors'. So I scheduled out all my appointments through the end of the year and made them 5 weeks apart instead of 6. That should help the obvious demarcation between my scalp and my hair. Won't be great on my pocket book, but oh well. I told my stylist what H. had said and she laughed and said 'it could be worse. I had a client bring me a picture her son drew of her with her nice blond hair and a sharpie marker black line down the middle of her head. That's how he thought her hair should be drawn'. I don't wait that long, quite.

While she was doing my hair, there was a 3 year old girl getting a haircut. I was listening to the stylist reminding her to 'stay still; look down; don't wiggle', etc. It reminded me of when H. was little and we would take him and B. to my stylist (at the time - not the same stylist I have now) to get haircuts. We took a bag of Jelly Bellies with us and used those to keep the boys still. I could picture H. and his little 'grin' - not quite a smile, not quite a 'smirk'. Just this little, sweet smile with a jelly-bean rimmed mouth. He LOVED getting his haircut 'cuz he loved jelly beans. B. too. I was sitting there remembering and couldn't stop smiling. Picturing those sweet little faces smiling with glee and sitting very, very still, waiting for the next treat.

I hadn't thought of that in a long time and it is nice to have those 'snapshots' in my head. Need to picture those sweet faces the next time they give me grief about something. They are still sweet, but older now, and jelly beans don't do diddly squat anymore in eliciting desired actions. No more 'easy' ways to make them comply with simple requests. It's all uphill, now. But I can remember when it wasn't and that helps.

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...